A glimmer of hope

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ratcatcher, May 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys I've just had a phone call from my AFCO informing me that I have successfully appealed my failed Medical. I won't go into the nitty gritty of what happened, but essentially I was rejected because I went to see my Doctor about feeling low a while back and I put it in the box for depression in the questionnaire when it wasn't.

So far my application hasn't been too smooth.

Originally I was told I couldn't join as an officer because I didn't have enough UCAS points - This was overturned as I'm in a second year of my degree, doing very well and have done a foundation course.

Then I was told that as I graduate around my 30th birthday I might be too old - however after sending in my CV and a letter discussing relevant experience I was told it won't be a problem.

I've still got a long way to go and I appreciate everyones case is always unique, but I just wanted to say that if you are really certain the Royal Navy is what you want in life then fight for it! Every obstacle I overcome only makes me more committed to join. Like I said you might not be as fortunate as I have been, but you won't know unless you put everything into it!

Oh and thanks to Angry Doc for all his advice, it's really appreciated.

2. Congrats for your success so far. If you achieve your aim and join as an officer you can always go back to the AFCO and troop the recruiter :-D

3. The rate he's going the recruiter will be dead by then:laughing2:

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Ratcatcher,
    Well done and for not giving in, but I have to wonder, you said: "but I just wanted to say that if you are really certain the Royal Navy is what you want in life".
    You're almost 30, if you are that certain then surely you'd have applied earlier.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not looking for a bite, just wondering how it took you so long to feel certain.

5. No offence taken, I'm sure it will be a question I'll get asked at my sift interview anyway so I better get used to answering it. I think it's important to make clear I'm not claiming it's been a lifelong ambition of mine, that would clearly be untrue, but if anything I think my age actually means I can say "I'm certain that the Navy is what I want in life" with more conviction then some of my younger peers.

I spent quite a large portion of my youth not knowing what I wanted to do, but as I've grown older I have learnt a great deal about myself, from my skills and strengths to what I feel is really important in life. A couple of years back I stumbled across the Navy as a future and it instantly interested me. As time goes on and the deeper I delve, the more sense it seems to make, it fits in perfectly with what I have learnt about myself. To the point now; it has become a 'gut' feeling stronger than any other I have experienced about anything else. It might seem stupid and I'm sure I'll get it ripped out of me, but I have genuinely started to feel like I was made for the Navy and have been working down this route the whole time.

It's difficult to answer whether I wish I had applied sooner, and not of much use. Had I known back then what I know about myself now then yes I would have joined, but like I said at my age I have the benefit of really knowing myself and that has given me the confidence to put absolutely everything into applying.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is rather pleasing to see that a measured approach to each obstacle presented can indeed produce positive & favourable results.

Throwing tantrums achieves little, but logical discourse with adequate supporting evidence may well turn the situation around.

The thing that many forget is that the AFCO nor the Medical Examiner want to knock people back, we actually prefer to recruit as it's in the job title of our boss, after all & it's actually a lot less stressful.

The parameters are set for good reason & there are those serving who think the standards set are too low. The AFCO does not set the standards, however we are the people who implement them & when all's said and done, people with valid cause for complaint or appeal are dealt with fairly. It doesn't always go their way, but we do our best.

7. Yep, just to echo what Ninja Stoker said; my Medical Examiner actually seemed genuinely disappointed when he failed me and whilst at the time I was devastated, I completely understood he was just doing his job.
    My AFCO has always been extremely helpful in advising me what action to undertake. I understand when people feel things are unfair, but it really helps to try and take a step back and calm down before you proceed. And above all don't expect people to help if you can't be arsed to be polite or patient.

8. At last! A clear definitive pass without drama. I had my PJFT this morning managed 8:25 so very happy! Although I decided to have a strong cup of coffee an hour beforehand as I heard it helps. Not being a coffee drinker and therefore being caffeine sensitive meant my blood pressure was through the roof when the FA took it.

9. Congratulations and great effort on the PJFT