A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Helios, Sep 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I really should know the answer to this one and it is embarrassing that I don't, but how long exactly does it take to gain all the qualifications required to be an AET. On the website and in the brochures it says that after 6 months in the Defence College of Aeronautical engineering you come out qualified as an AET. Then it goes on to say, "you work hands on with aircraft at a base......in a few months you earn the qualifications that authorise you to sign of an aircraft fit to fly". How long exactly is this few months period, and what qualifications are gained. I assume at the Defence College is where you earn you NVQ level 2 in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance; or am I wrong? And at which point does your initial professional training finish? I ask because I can’t see myself making a life time career with the navy and it’s important I know when I’ll be able to leave. (12 months' notice two and a half years after the end of your initial professional training, whenever that is)

My other question is about gaining qualifications that aren't really associated or necessary for your chosen branch. I want to gain A levels in Maths, Physics and French if possible. Does anyone know how long this will take me, how it fits in with your regular work and how much it costs? And if you do gain additional qualifications which pertain to your chosen trade will it effect the length of you obligation to stay? For example, at leading rate you can gain a Kingston University certificate, will I have to stay longer if it do?

Sorry for these bothersome questions and thanks for any replies.

2. If you're only staying a couple of years you won't be leaving with much fella. You do about a year's worth of training, half in the classroom at Sultan and half on a squadron as On-Job-Training before being qualified to maintain aircraft. Although the Navy will give you quals to work on Mod aircraft, the CAA requires a little more, so if you're interested in going outside after a couple of years into the Civvy industry, you may benefit from taking courses to get your CAA licenses. I think Licenses by post might be an idea as you can fit it in around your job.

3. My other question is about gaining qualifications that aren't really associated or necessary for your chosen branch. I want to gain A levels in Maths, Physics and French if possible. Does anyone know how long this will take me, how it fits in with your regular work and how much it costs? And if you do gain additional qualifications which pertain to your chosen trade will it effect the length of you obligation to stay? For example, at leading rate you can gain a Kingston University certificate, will I have to stay longer if it do?
    FFS why bother joining? you want to gain A levels stay at school, if you have already left school go to college, the Royal Navy owes you nothing, if they let you in, you will owe them. (by the way, join the Navy , go to France and learn French in a brothel)

4. I've imagined I'll stay until I'm 26 or 27 at the latest, and I'll still be 20 when I join. So I'll have a good 6 or 7 years. I'm not dead set on leaving, how can I be, I haven't even started yet, I mightn't even get through training or I might fall in love with it and stay as long as they will have me. It's important I explore all my options though and understand what options I'll have available once I join. But then I'll I don't think I'll fully understand what route I want to take until I'm actually in the navy which makes this whole thread rather mundane. I think I’ll have to revisit my AFCO.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

They are qualifications to do the job within the Royal Navy.

You need to be "qualified to maintain" (ie wield a spanner near an aircraft)
    & eventually "qualified to sign" (ie trusted not to leave your spanner in the engine, or more accurately, confirm that you consider the bit you've just meddled with is now airworthy).

It is up to the individual how long it takes, but it should be within 6-12 months of completing phase two training IF you pull your finger out. Doubtless a qualified AET will correct me if that timescale is inaccurate.

HMS Sultan, Military Road, Gosport, PO12 4BY is the specific location.

After you complete phase two training & are qualified to sign & maintain.

You my undertake "distance learning" qualifications, financed by RN Enhanced Learning Credits covering tutelage costs- if you complete the course & take the exam, you recoup the cost of sitting the exam (whatever that is nowadays)

My best advice would be to concentrate on preparing yourself to enter, completing your basic training first, then your trade training & then qualifying rather than wondering what's in it for you afterwards.

Good luck, but remember- one step at a time...