A few questions (medical/qualification related) from a newbie

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by barnsley1995, Apr 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

first post since I signed up here so I can get a bit more information than just reading as a guest :)

Wanting to submit my application to the Royal Navy in the near future, basically as soon as I'm as prepared as possible for the fitness/written tests. But before I get too deep into the thought I am concerned that my red/green colour deficiency will stop me from doing a lot of roles in there. I can easily distinguish red and green as seperate colours but fail the Isihara plates.

The main role I am interested in is being an engineering technician for marine engineering, however I don't know how my vision will affect my eligibility? :/ am I going to be restricted to office based or administrative roles, as that is the sort of work I do now and to be honest I hate it

Also, I have noticed that under 'Skills for life' there is mention of working towards A levels and a degree? I would be joining as an able rate due to my only qualifications being up to GCSE level, so could I do my A levels within the RN to gain the UCAS points to make me qualified enough to progress to an officers role or similar?

Any advice would be much appreciated, and apologies in advance if the information is readily available on the RN site but I have not been able to find all the information in one place and link it all together so I thought I would just ask here? :)

Thankyou :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Marine & Weapons Engineering Technicians need to meet Colour Perception Standard 4 (CP4) Air Engineers CP2, as described here: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-up-royal-navy-recruiting/43748-colour-vision.html#post743064

As an Engineering Technician you will be embarking on one of the country’s top Modern Apprenticeship Schemes, voted as such in the 2011 City and Guilds Apprenticeship Awards. Training will be a constant feature of your time in the service. You will gain National Vocational Qualifications as you progress through each stage of your early career and will have the opportunity to gain a Foundation Degree. The service can also help you gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs and A levels. As well as helping you develop your Navy career, everything you achieve should be valued by a future civilian employer and the training has been recognised by the IMarEST and IMechE so that it can streamline your route to registering as an EngTech and then an IEng.

After completing training you can embark on further educational courses, through the lifelong learning programme part funded by (link) ELCAS