A few questions, cant find a proper answer anywhere!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JamesT, Dec 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

New to forum, so an excuse to say ello.

Was looking into becoming a general service MA, but theres a few things i still cant find a proper answer for. I read somewhere that to serve as a MA onboard that you need to be at least a leading hand, is this true? Also i presume that to become a leading hand medical assistant, it means passing more exams?

If theres any MA's about, whats the work load really like? the careers website give a brief paragraph but not really enough to get a insight

I know theres a good 10 month waiting list at least, so presuming that means theres a fair few applications for it, but whats the odds of ending up onboard rather than on shore?

If anyone could give any more information on the MA training than whats on the careers website, that'd be really handy.
    Cheers

2. i did 18 years as a MA leaving as a Poma i was lucky to get drafted to the Hermes when i was 18 became a LMA at 21 then had Bachante, Alacrity,Exeter ,and Brstol,but generally you have to be an LMA to have frigates and a POMA to have destroyers like 42,s generally it a good job not to much brain ache, how ever you will come across big events my biggest was all the casualtys from the MV Atlantic conveyor alternatively you can do Marines or Submarines but good luck any way

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the forums James & Brendan.

Brendan has, understandably nailed it for you James.

To summarise, initially as an MA you WILL serve at sea, but on the larger ships with more senior MA's to conduct On Job Training.

You will only serve as the only MA on board (without medical top-cover on-site) when you reach Leading Hand- such as on T23 frigates. When you progress further up the promotion ladder, you will serve on the larger ships with your own medical staff.

You will serve both ashore & afloat throughout your career, the sea-shore ratio, last time I looked (standing by to be corrected) is 40% Sea, 60% Shore). But, again this varies depending on what rate(rank) you attain.

At risk of stating the obvious, have you downloaded the Medical Assistant Factsheet ?

4. Cheers for the information

Im only 17, Left college about a month into starting my A2's but after years of studying god awful ICT courses, figured theres got to be more to life than sitting in front a desk.

At first i planned to go back to college next year study the 3 sciences then try and get a place at med school. that alone is 7 years worth of studying even before the foundation training years! (not to mention the lovely student loan.) Even after that the NHS doesnt really offer secure work for junior doctors.

Hopefully will apply early next year.

Oh and yeah I've looked at the fact sheet

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

James,

If you've got good GCSE grades & can get good A2's, why not look at Medical Officer? You can get sponsorship for your last 3 years of Medical Degree from the RN. Don't have the figures to hand, but it's about £10k Year 3, £11k Year 4 & £12k Year 5. You then start on around £37.5k pre-registration. If you're clever enough to do it, then do it.

Aim high & good luck!

6. When ever i gp to my Falklands reunions the Surgeon Lieutenant Commander who was with me always introduces me as his boss,but the most important role is ensuring the Senior Rates have adequate brufen, or being a expert on fiddling the bar books if you want to go to sea dont join as a Nurse,even Doctors have little chance of getting to sea,unless its big and going Gulf or Falklands deployment points out 10 as a career 8.5

7. Hi mate am in MA's training at the moment so here's a brief idea of whats going on, even though you're on a tri service base its still run by the army and has an army feel to it, aldershot is a bad night out;). The course itself is good (the first 13 weeks anyway). You'll do advanced first aid using a defib and and other gucci kit (really interesting), obviously from the point of view as the medic arriving at the scene. You'll do 7 weeks of anatomy and physiology which is but you must revise each night. And you'll do other week long courses like pharmacy and environmental health. So far i'm really enjoying it. hope this helps.

8. whos the head honcho of the Medical Branch now,i had a good time ,well most of the time i just hope all you guys have a terriffic time

9. That is a really good idea, something i did consider but personally i couldnt stand the thought of leaving college at 21 and not be in full employment.
    As much as id love to study medicine I dont think it's something i would regret not doing.