A few questions about the submarines

Hi all,

I'm thinking of joining the submarines as a Weapons Engineers however i have a few questions;

1) Do you have paid time off work to return home after getting back from long missions?
2) is food and accommodation free while aboard the subs?
3) what are promotion prospects like on submarines?
4) I've been told the pay is a lot better compared to the fleet, how much better is it? i cant find definitive information on it anywhere..
5) is it a wise choice to start on the fleet as a WE then move onto subs later in my career?

Thanks !

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Best bet is to pop into your nearest AFCO for a chat. To give a rough idea:

1. You get around 37 day's paid leave a year and approx 3 out of every 4 weekends off when inboard. Pay is 365 days a year.

2. Yes.

3. Better than General Service in the main.

4. About £10 a day (£300 a month) extra initially, once qualified, initially. There's also a £5000 pre-tax joining bounty, once trained.

5. Up to you. If you join as a Submariner, you'll remain a submariner for about 5 years before being permitted to transfer to General Service (GS) on average. Truth is, most don't because they enjoy the pay. If unsure, join GS first, gain a first hand insight, THEN volunteer for Boats (Submarines) if it still appeals.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of joining the submarines as a Weapons Engineers however i have a few questions;

1) Do you have paid time off work to return home after getting back from long missions?
Yes, same as everyone else in the RN, you're paid 24/7
Yes, same as surface fleet, accommodation consists of your rack though.
Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, depends on branch requirements and you.
4) I've been told the pay is a lot better compared to the fleet, how much better is it? i cant find definitive information on it anywhere..
Try searching RN rates of pay, this has been done to death
5) is it a wise choice to start on the fleet as a WE then move onto subs later in my career?
Yes, going the other way is next to impossible.

And they're called Boats, not subs.

Your welcome :)

Thanks !

Thanks for the fast replies @WreckerL @Ninja_Stoker ,

After returning from very long missions, 6 months + for example, do you get a few weeks off work and can return home or anything like that?

Being on boats doesn't affect your chances of going on the adventurous activities and stuff like that does it?

Can you still put your name forward for training schemes or training courses i.e: Diving?

Being on V boats is more local bases missions where as A and T boats are more global, can you choose which to apply for and/or change mid career?

thanks again lads!

Yes. How long depends on your boat and crew. You may get a weekend off (or the equivalent) if you are lucky..or you could go into a proper leave period

Yes. When you say accom. You get a bunk. Sometimes, you may be required to share that with someone

Depends on your branch and you.

Yes. a lot better

IMO, yes. but that is just my opinion

After returning from very long missions, 6 months + for example, do you get a few weeks off work and can return home or anything like that?
In common with the surface fleet, you will get leave after a deployment. At some point.

Being on boats doesn't affect your chances of going on the adventurous activities and stuff like that does it?
Depends on who you talk to. Some will tell you that it's impossible to get AT in. I might suggest those people haven't actually bothered their arse to organise it. I've been a submariner for over 27 years and the amount of AT I've done and the number of quals I have suggest it's not a bar.

Can you still put your name forward for training schemes or training courses i.e: Diving?
See above. I don't dive myself, but my boss does (and does nothing else if you believe Facebook) and I can name at least one WE Senior Rate who has managed even more diving over the course of his career than I have AT.

Being on V boats is more local bases missions where as A and T boats are more global, can you choose which to apply for and/or change mid career?
Needs of the service notwithstanding, you have some choice and can swap between the 2.

............I can name at least one WE Senior Rate who has managed even more diving over the course of his career than I have AT.
/QUOTE]

Cough - can't be me, as I have been outside yonks...........but my last job in the RN was teaching diving at the AT camp in Belize!

Tough job, but somebody has to do it!! Submariners need to get the sun when they can!