A Few Daft Civvy Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by whitewaters, Feb 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realise I may well regret asking some of these but as I get further through the application process more and more questions keep popping into my head which I've failed to find answers to via the search function.

Chances are these will likely be obvious to anybody serving/who has served and I know that the answers will likely vary depending on the vessel but here goes.

I'm hoping to go in as ETME on the surface fleet and was wondering:

- Do we get a baggage allowance and does this vary depending on the length of deployment? Also is this including or excluding kit? I realise space will be at a premium and am assuming we get allocated a locker but have no clue with regard to the size of these. How much personal storage space do we actually have available?

- What happens if you want a sandwich/food/drink outside of regular meal times? Are there kitchen facilities to use or the option to purchase extra food? I'm not a fatty but I have an appetite and probably eat more than most.

- Leading on from the previous question, what do people do in terms of taking their own food on board? For example do you stock up on Pot Noodles/Chocolate etc or is this not allowed? If so do you take a shed load of provisions to get you through a deployment or stock up on random stuff as and when in a foreign port?

- Are there gym facilities on board and are these accessible 24/7?

- Are we allowed to bring a laptop/mp3 player/tablet/Kindle/camera etc or are personal luxuries forbidden? I know it's not a pleasure cruise but I'm hoping if/when I get in I'll end up visiting some interesting places. and a camera especially would be handy.

- What about things like electrics toothbrushes/shavers? Are these generally a pain in the arse or are there places to charge them?

- What happens in terms of currency when visiting foreign places on shore leave? Do people just take cash out in a foreign country at the time or is this done in advance somehow? Is there any need for money on a ship full stop? Obviously I realise there won't be a Tesco Express onboard but is there a shop to buy stuff like toothpaste/boot polish etc or are these all things we have to bring?

- What happens if a family member back home dies while we're deployed? Bit of a grim question I know but it must happen to people serving. Are they flown home or does it depend on the needs of the service in terms of whether or not service personnel can be released form to attend a funeral? Does the Navy view certain family members with higher regard than others in these situations?

Apologies in advance for being thick but as always any info is appreciated.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will have about a cubic metre of locker space for your uniform & civilian possessions/clothes.

Most ships have a shop where you can buy food, drink, nutty (sweets), duty free goods & basic groceries such as soap, shoe-polish, toothpaste, etc.

You can usually cash cheques/exchange currency on the ship but nowadays most cashpoint cards can draw local currency overseas. You do need money on a ship.

You can bring on non-perishable foodstuffs if you wish, assuming you have a place to keep it. You are seldom at sea for more than three or four weeks, there's plenty of opportunities to "restock" on items not available on the ship - you can even order stuff off Amazon.

All ships have at least a multi-gym. They are usuably accessable throughout the day/night as long as they are not located near an accommodation area where you may disturb off-watch personnel trying to have a kip.

Most people seem to have mobile phones, tablets/laptops, cameras, PS4 etc.

In the event of a sudden loss of a close family member, the service will usually bend over backwards to assist if at all practical & physically feasible. Immediate family (partner, children, parents & siblings) are usually giiven higher priority over grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., depending on individual family circumstances. Obviously, if you are operationally engaged in combat ops or heightened alert, the job in hand may well impnge on the ability to fly you home immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers for that Ninja, very insightful. Had no idea you could get Amazon stuff delivered to a ship.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Mail is delivered to ships at sea by a variety of means - airdrop, helicopter, ship to ship, Pilot Launch, ship's boats, etc., depending on location. It could well be that mail isn't delivered for a couple of weeks but it does get through even when thousands of miles from UK & hundreds of miles from land.

5. Unless the name of your boat (SWIFTSURE) was very close to the then Hong Kong Guard Ship (SWIFT) when, on surfacing off the Falklands and anticipating mail from the nice RAF whirly bird that flew out, were told that all he had onboard were Easter eggs for the bun run. Gen dit no shit. Eventually got our mail - my how we laughed.

6. I remember on outback 88 one of our cabs dropping a bag of HMS Edinburgh's mail out of the door (in the oggin) not on the flight deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Sort of puts it in perspective when people whinge about Royal Mail leaving stuff in the bin.