A ferry good performance

Say good bye to the rusty Torpoint ferry!!! And welcome a more, well, erm, ferry to head to wheelers on!

THE Princess Royal was serenaded by Devonport Royal Naval Volunteer Band in a rather unusual setting – one of two high-profile performances by the musicians this spring.

The musicians were invited to perform at the dedication of the new Torpoint ferry and set up on the car deck of chain ferry Lynher II as it clanked across the Hamoaze; it’s the latest arrival on the river, part of a £17m investment in the vital link between Devon and Cornwall.

Aside from Princess Anne, an audience of 300 schoolchildren and ferry staff were entertained by the volunteer band, one of nine in the RN.

A much larger crowd awaited the musicians (bolstered by people from HMS Heron and Seahawk) two days later at Home Park for Plymouth Argyle’s final match of the season.

Sixteen thousand football fans – from Plymouth and visitors Ipswich Town – were treated to a performance by the band, which is now, understandably, “on a high†according to volunteer band instructor C/Sgt Martyn Hancock.

The highlight of this year for the 35-strong band should hopefully be a performance at the Menin Gate in Ypres for Armistice commemorations in November, when the volunteers intend to team up with Devon Fire and Rescue’s ceremonial unit.
full story

Jenny_Dabber said:
Say good bye to the rusty Torpoint ferry!!! And welcome a more, well, erm, ferry to head to wheelers on!

That old rust bucket gave me my first 'Sealegs' in '63 (After all night on the train from Preston :roll: )

I can remember a harsh night out in Wheelers one wednesday night, coming back on the ferry I missed the ramp and fell in the ogin. Well, at least I made it to Jesters on time :roll:

Jenny_Dabber said:

THE Princess Royal was serenaded by Devonport Royal Naval Volunteer Band in a rather unusual setting – one of two high-profile performances by the musicians this spring.

The musicians were invited to perform at the dedication of the new Torpoint ferry and set up on the car deck of chain ferry Lynher II as it clanked across the Hamoaze; it’s the latest arrival on the river, part of a £17m investment in the vital link between Devon and Cornwall.

Aside from Princess Anne, an audience of 300 schoolchildren and ferry staff were entertained by the volunteer band, one of nine in the RN.

A much larger crowd awaited the musicians (bolstered by people from HMS Heron and Seahawk) two days later at Home Park for Plymouth Argyle’s final match of the season.

Sixteen thousand football fans – from Plymouth and visitors Ipswich Town – were treated to a performance by the band, which is now, understandably, “on a high†according to volunteer band instructor C/Sgt Martyn Hancock.

The highlight of this year for the 35-strong band should hopefully be a performance at the Menin Gate in Ypres for Armistice commemorations in November, when the volunteers intend to team up with Devon Fire and Rescue’s ceremonial unit.
full story
At least the new ferries will be safe from the Scylla!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TattooDog The Quarterdeck 9
jambosun Diamond Lil's 6
C Current Affairs 41