A drinker's guide to hangover cures

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by brazenhussy, Apr 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't need it. I have never been drunk in my life.
    Though I have been over-served on hundreds of occasions! :(

2. Always remeber it is not the drinking that gives you the hangover but the stopping.

3. Has anyone tried RU21, its availible from boots, you are supposed to take a pill with every pint/drink, apparently it stops hangovers........as long as you remember to keep taking it when you are pi55ed, and it is quite expensive.

4. Have tried (last night being the most recent test) a herbal remedy I picked up in India called PartySmart - think you can now buy it over the Tinterweb. Its v cheap, claims to work by helping to clean up your liver. Seems to have some benefit, but need to do a lot more testing, for scientific research reasons obviously.

Next one to try is Milk Thistle, an ex-fireman oppo of mine swears by it. Think it works in much the same way as the PartySmart, might even be made of the same stuff?

However, you could just learn to love your hangovers...

5. Charcoal tablets are supposed to be good.

6. A iv drip of glucose works (Or so I'm told)

7. 2x Brufen 400s before going out.
    I don't get hangovers after taking them :)

8. The Juice of half a bottle of whisky works for me.

9. I wonder if you can still get them from the doc onboard? Hoofin big orange fellas, couple of them and then gulpers on your winger's goffa and you were set...

10. Best way to avoid a hangover is not to drink! Bit boring I admit, but bloody effective.

Charcoal tablets? Sounds like something a pregnant woman would eat - probably with tomato sauce. :?

SF

11. ooh I dunno mate, I was lucky enough to be on the Ice Cream a few years back when we went to New York, popped myself into a pharmacy there and bought a great bucket of 200s for a couple of Dollars.

12. Noted for my upcoming visit to the big apple.

SF

13. 1 x pint of water
    1 x sachet dioralyte
    2 x gaviscon tablets
    2 x tylex
    2 x Brufen
    1 x metaclopramide

Mix dioralyte with water, wash down tablets, chew gaviscon, retire to bed

14. I have, after years of suffering from bangin hangovers discovered the cure...............drink water before you go to bed. I know, I know, you gotta be sober enough to remember this but trust me it really works.

15. There is only one sure fire way not to suffer and thats not to drink to excess.
    (This message has been brought to you by The RR Responsible Drinkers Programme.)

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nah, just stay in bed until it's gone. Easy.

17. I concur. Since I started drinking a pint of water after drinking, it prevented the hangovers and kept me active all night..... to and fro from bed to head! :lol:

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

If I took them I wouldn't be going out to the pub - I'd be heading to the nearest casualty to be treated for anaphylaxis :(

I discovered this reaction many years ago when taking Brufen to treat the symptoms of a hang-over - what a shitty day that turned out to be!