A couple of questions....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nykie, Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am applying for Marine Engineer Officer MEO

1. What are the average working hours when on shore? Are your weekends free?

2. Once fully trained and you have become a Lt what is the salary? If you stayed as a Lt for the full 12 year commission do you ever gain a pay rise or does a pay rise only materialise once you are promoted eg... Lt Cdr

3. After the 12 year commission comes to an end where do most MEO's look for a job and is it an easy transition to civilian jobs?

I look forward to hearing the answers

Thanks

2. Very helpful! Honestly what a stupid answer! Where does it say I'm thinking of leaving?

3. Not a stupid answer at all.

I read the post as short term stepping stone!!!

Most served or serving RN personnel look at the service as a career not a break during a recession.

4. On a related note, how many people atually leave after 12 years? It seems to me, from reading, not first hand experience, that most people fall into one of two catagories.

A) Do their return of service and hand in their 12 months notice.

or

B) Stay in as long as they can.

5. Depends on where you are, In the main you're probably looking at 0800-1800 Monday to Friday with occasional requirements for weekend duties.

Read the pay scales pamphlet. shouldn't be too difficult to work out from there.

Depends on the experience gained in that 12 years. There are plenty of opportunities either salaried or self employed. there are the old favourite reliable routes of BEA Systems or one of the dockyard companies.

Transition isn't too bad, but it depends on how you approach it.