A couple of questions regarding university sponsorship and suchlike

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by admiralscruff, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm hoping to join as a Warfare Officer, but I don't know whether to go to university first or not. I know that Warfare officers straight from school can study for degrees and don't get paid as well as their graduate counterparts, but:
    1. Roughly, how much competition is there for sponsorships from the RN to go to university, and does this involve anything other than getting money in return for joining?
    2. Do graduates get promoted more rapidly?
  2. This is exactly the issue I'm faced with. I had an application in 2 years ago to try and join as a Warfare Officer but I then decided to go to Uni first. I'm now going to Uni in Sept but I still want to try and join as soon as possible. I won't be able to answer your questions as well as some on here but in regards to question 1, I was told when I asked my AFCO about sponsorship that unless you were doing an Engineering degree, it was very hard to gain sponsorship. This was 2 or so years ago so it might have changed.
    I will look forward to seeing the answers from this.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Basically, 3 options remain for Warfare Officer. Cadetships are no longer available.

1. Join without a degree. Starting pay around £15K (possibly applying for 6th form scholarship)

2. Join with a degree. Starting pay around £29K (possibly joining URNU whilst ast Uni)

3. Go for a bursary - £1,500 per year, then join on £29K

As a bursar you undergo officer selection and remain a civilian while studying, but you’ll be expected to spend part of your free time with a local University Royal Navy Unit (URNU), getting to know the Royal Navy.

There are comparatively few bursaries available & applicants need a minimum of 240 (not 180) UCAS points in addition to the 5 GCSE's A*-C including maths & English. You must also score a set number of points from your GCSE results under a rather complex scoring system which relates to GCSE's taken, passed, failed, best GCSE English & maths score & all should be taken within 13 months.

Suffice to say predominently A* & A grades at GCSE are required before an individual s considered for a ursary.
  4. Fixed - rare error there on your part NS...
  5. If you want to be 1SL, the ideal time to join the RN is at 18; the next best time is to join the Sep after graduation at 21. If you're not that concerned about becoming First, join whenever, but be aware that it may well have an impact on your ultra-long term career prospects.

As to the Uni/not Uni choice, I would suggest that going to a decent Uni, to do a decent degree is worth the money; if you just want to get drunk and shag women, the RN will pay you for it, and take you some of the way around the world for your troubles!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, fair call, forgot to mention the "social aspect". ;-P
  7. You could also put the 'b' on 'ursary'....
  8. How would I go about applying for a Bursary? At the minute I have 260 UCAS Points and 4 A*'s, 3 A's, 4 B's and a C at GCSE's. I am doing two A Level resits though so my total UCAS Points could rise up to 300.
  9. It used to be you went to AIB, and noted your interest in a Busary/Cadetship, and at the end of the year those with the highest 'x' pass marks got the 'x' available cadetships and bursaries.

No idea how it happens now.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

An 'A Level' re-sit is unusual if you have 260 UCAS points (bearing in mind only Grade D A2 or better count & AS Level UCAS points only count if grade B or better & providing they are not taken at A2). The re-takes must be taken within 13 months of the original A2 & if by 'A Levels' you mean 'BTEC level 3', they need to be passed at Merit, Merit, Merit or better & the UCAS points awarded need to be verified by AIB as having sufficient academic content & comprising two distinct, non-overlapping subjects.

The unravel that lot, take your certificates to your AFCO for copying & faxing to AIB for verification.

Once verified eligible, the selection process is no different to regular Officer entry.
  11. Thanks, I'm doing resits to get into my first choice Uni. So if I go to my AFCO next week say and show him my A Level and GCSE certificates and say I'm interested in a bursary, would that be acceptable?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, crack on & best of luck.
  13. Right, thanks for the help guys, all the more reason to work my little arse off if I can try to get a bursary
  14. ...says the expert on the English language...
  15. I'm joining as a warfare officer in September on the sixthform scholarship thing. They rang me last week to ask if I wanted to take the Uni scholarship too, but I want to go straight in as a Midshipman.

From my point of view, it really wasn't that competitive. It all depends on the other people taking the AIB at the same time as you, as those with higher scores raise the minimum pass mark bar.
    Out of 12 people who were doing the AIB at the same time as me, 4 of us passed, and of the 12 who were after us, only 1 passed.
    The thing with 17/18 year olds is that very few of them actually pass the AIB. I passed by 2 marks which was enough to get me the scholarship on this occasssion.

Just as an aside, the 6th form scholarship is misquoted on the RN's website and all of their careers books. It says it's £1050 for a year at college. Instead, it's £500 per term (£1500) and then a further £1500 when you go to Dartmouth, at least, that's what I'm getting!

Why's that?
  16. It's been a while since I attended the AIB but I would suggest they don't vary the standard depending on the attendees at each Board sitting. They are looking for a standard. If 10 out of 10 reach that standard then they'll process those applicants depending on the needs of the Service. The converse is true. Going by your argument Dartmouth's intakes would be a combination of very high and very low scoring candidates, rather than a person who has reached a standard the RN thinks has the potential to be trained as an officer.

The suggestion that to be 1SL one has to join at 18 is so you can get 3/4/6 years more experience in the RN, rather than using that time in further academic education. Most degrees have little relevance to the study required of a senior officer. They show you can apply yourself to further education but 3 additional years on the Bridge AND the mandatory Staff College etc is going to prove more useful in the 1SL quest........until he leaves and needs to get a real job :-D (Just joking, Sir)
  17. I'm mulling over whether 6th form scholarship is worth it or not. I've wanted to join the RN for as long as I can remember, but until recently I've repressed that a bit due to various factors. Would I have to do AIB as a 15/16 year old to get the scholarship for 6th form? and do the Navy have events and training for them, like they do for the uni scholars? I'd probably go for a uni scholarship anyway, but I don't know about 6th form
  18. This is what I meant:

Say that 180 out of 220 points is the pass mark. If lots of people get ~200marks and they have say, 10 spaces, they will take the top 10, meaning that if you just pass, you proably won't get in. However, if the majority of people get ~185, scraping a pass will be enough. In that respect, it does depend on the standard of other applicants.
  19. As an applicant (I hadn't passed AIB at this point) I was invited to BRNC for a summer camp with about 200 cadets. It was brilliant, and they invited me to have dindins with 2SL. They sat me next to him :D

Anyway, if you wanted to get the scholarship for both years of college, then yes, you'd have to sit the AIB at the age of 15/16. I did mine at 17 for the second year of college.
    I wouldn't bother with Uni because the RN have a scheme whereby you study for a foundation degree as part of your training (IWO(F))which you can choose to take further (which they pay for) to get a full BSc in naval sciences or something silly. If you really want a degree, your best bet is that route.
  20. Yeah, my parents want me to go to uni, but I'd rather get a degree in-service and have more time in the Navy. I shouldn't have a problem with fitness (they make allowances for young candidates on the bleep test & running), getting into shape isn't going to be a major issue if I plan ahead. The tests should be fine, if I balls up anywhere, it'll be the interview.

I only 'came clean' about joining the Senior Service 3 months ago, if I still want to, and it's not just a phase, by the time I apple for 6th form college in September (My school is quite small and has no 6th form, so I'm having to go elsewhere) I'll go down the AFCO and see about applying
    Last edited: May 17, 2011