A couple of questions from potential submariner.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by smitto, Nov 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to get my application off by the end of the week. Most likely either TSM or CISSM. Be helpful if anyone could answer these for me.

- Does anyone know when the Trafalgar class are due to be decommissioned? I understand that when they've gone, there'll be no further submarine presence in Plymouth. Being from Somerset, I'd hope to have at least a chance of being with a boat based there rather than at Faslane.

- Moving from boats to surface fleet. How often does this happen? Is it easily done? Do you have to do a certain amount of time before being able to move? I'm not interested in the surface fleet right now, but in the future, I'd like to know how easy it is to change.

- Anyone know anyone who joined from civi street at 29? Did they find anything easier or more difficult than younger recruits.

- Oh yeah, one more. A friend told me that of all the ratings jobs onboard a submarine. TSM might involve less non job-specific duties (cleaning, checking etc.) than other jobs. Is this bollocks?

That's it for now. Great site btw, been really helpful.

Cheers then.

2. Joining up at 29, there where a couple of older candidates, they did tend to find most aspects of phase 1 easier.
    TSM and SSM, tend to do the non branch specific jobs, the same as WS on skimmers.
    Transfers as far as I know are few and far between.

3. T boats, they are being decommissioned as A boats are being brought out, according to the jungle drums all boats will be based out of Faslane in about 2010ish

4. More 2013 and beyond....probably...

5. If in doubt scrub out. All J/Rs spend alot of time being confused :dwarf:

6. Cheers. Can you expand on "non branch specific jobs"?

7. ?

8. Is this a bite?

:dwarf:

9. scrubbing heads and flats.

10. Store ship as well as general dogsbody and runner for the department and any other department that can borrow you.
    However the T.S's seem to spend a lot of time in the mess drinking tea as well, so it cant all be bad :thumright:

11. So what's the job that involves the most tea drinking?

12. Missile Mary.

:dwarf:

13. Where do I sign?

14. You don't. They just hug....

15. TSM is a good job alongside as you should thin out be 11am at sea CISSM is better as you can hide in the shack!

16. Go CIS matey, far more responsibilty and respect, and your not in the Control Room lime light. Best place to be if you have a nosy disposition, you know whats going on even before the CO.

17. Not as an AB2 you dont.

In my department you only work past 12 if you have pissed the RS off and thin out after duty at 0900. If you are on a T boat, you may not be in the lime light but you arent far from it. In the old days the ROs may have had respect and responsibility but they are not better than the UC/TSs these days. CISSM is however the way to go............

18. Not as an AB2 you dont.

In my department you only work past 12 if you have pissed the RS off and thin out after duty at 0900. If you are on a T boat, you may not be in the lime light but you arent far from it. In the old days the ROs may have had respect and responsibility but they are not better than the UC/TSs these days. CISSM is however the way to go............[/quote]

Your department must do loads of afternoons then mate! :thumright:

Thinout at nine? Youve changed!!!!!

19. I have a good department now that all the leg Irons have gone, thinned them all out to Astute and Superb.

Its amazing how much more time off is given when you the RS isnt getting bollockings all the time.

20. So you are a RS then Ballsack?
    Bet you are a fun bloke to be on a boat with?