A Boats

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Flash-Andrew, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only served on one A - There must be some survivors ... dits anyone

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I once served with a very salty ex submariner who has served in A boats - he described some alarming procedure called a 'gun action surface' in which the gun layer actually went out of the hatch before the rest of the boat got to the roof......

3. Was in commissioning crew of Ambush as you say Surface Gun Action was always fun, the hatch to the gun platform was in the wardroom, any gun layer worth his salt would try to get as much "oggin"down as possable

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Theres still loads of us about, I served in Alaric, Amphion and Artemis, in my opinion history has not served these boats (the A class) well, T class got the write ups (quite rightly) because of WWII, P & O because they were without doubt the best of their type in their era, but the A's seem to be largely ignored by the historians, dispite the role they played during the Cold War.

Have a look here
    A Boats

If you have any dits or pics I'd be pleased to hear from you

5. I recall an A boat tied up alongside at Dolphin in 75. Can't remember her name though...

6. janner

Alliance is still high and dry at the Submarine Museum, well worth a visit if you are in the area.

7. There was also Aeneas, Auriga amongst others (if I put my mind to it, I could probably remember all the boats that were based at the FortBlockhouse) - I remember these boats well as I worked Submarine Tender section in HMS Dolphin Stores, though I was never posted to boats, I used to collect the crests for any that I stored/destored.
    Any old boatmen out there remember the Chief Stoker (?) John Thomas - JT to one and all in the 60s ?

:smile:

8. I served on two A boats, Auriga and Astute, But the gun had been removed. Other A boats I remember were Aurochs, Alderney and all those mentioned above. A lot of the boats named in the Dorset Submariners web site are familiar.
    I visited the Alliance about 18 months ago,she still had a lot of work to be done on her.It certainly brought back memories mainly good. The tales certainly impressed the site seers.

9. For info (Janner) I believe the very large target behind the Astute and Auriga in the first picture of Astute on your site is HMCS Bonaventure.

11. janner

12. Always thought that the submarine at dolphin was the Andrew as she was the last one in commission.
    Last time I saw her she was alongside Defiance/13 dock (the Floating one) Devonport. We deployed and when we got back she hadn’t.
    As an aside I also remember seeing the Cavalier in that dock.

13. Andrew was definitely out-kept by Alliance - rumour had that Alliance was in better nick, but I beg to differ. Andrew was in prime shape.

On a different note - today I met an elderly gent who had served on the USN boat that nailed the Yamato in WW2; I think it was Skate, but stand to be corrected.

14. janner

Have a look here...

RN SUBMARINE MUSEUM

15. Janner I have looked at the write up on a Surface Gun Action (SGA) on the Auriga, which gives a date of 1968. Unless they refitted the gun after 1965, she had no gun. Your pictures of the boat shows no gun ( only the first picture has a gun) On the last picture I was part of the crew. Still nice tale and some very good pictures.Thanks for the memories.

16. janner

Yorkie, like most of us the memory bank is letting me down at times, as you are probably aware, the A Boats that were in the Far East during the middle '60's were re-fitted with their guns because of the Indonesian troubles, Andrew and Amphion were certainly there then (I brought the Amphion home) and they were fitted. Some of the P and O Boats had an orlekan (I must learn how to spell that) certainly the Oberon and I believe the Rorqual. We got back to Blockhouse just before Xmas 1968 on the Amphion, if that helps with time scale.

The scaley forendy and wearer of womans clothes (fresh from the rag bag) who let me have that article visits this site so maybe he can throw some light on the subject. If you as him nicely he may put the Oberons hands to bathe pic on the gallery, AAC and one or two others would be delighted to see it. :shock: :oops: :shock:

17. She had her gun refitted after coming home from s/m 7 in the far flung 68.
    I picked her up then and gun refitted in RG(C) Chatham. Battery corner. Also part of her guns crew. Chris Meyer was her skipper, died, tragically young. David Tall OBE was her 5th hand. Torpedo Officer. Brother of Jeff Tall OBE now guvnor in the S/m Museum Gosport. Both commanded Bombers, I believe. Long after my time.

19. janner

And the womens clothes and pic????????????

20. Yep. Still into X dressing. Just love the feel of those serge hot-pants round my crotch! With regard the piccies: unfortunately I had a 'wipeout' on my old 'puter and lost them all. Have you any copies you could post here? If they pass the 'Censor' that is! :???: