Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A boats.

Jess33

Lantern Swinger
hi my son currently completing training on an A boat. Hopefully to get his dolphins after 4 weeks! Does it take them long to get a job on one of the boats when qualified? Reading some posts are they at sea for 3 month spells or how does it work in the astute class subs
Many thanks in advance - love this site! Recommended it to a few more mums!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Astutes will go away for as long as necessary, boats stayed dived for 3 months at a time but can be away longer. You can be away for 6 weeks or 6 months, even longer. I've been away for 2 weeks and also 6 months.

The time away isn't as regular as bombers.

Depends where in the world it is and what it's doing whilst there.

Jess33

Lantern Swinger
Wrecker he away completing wet phase st the moment. Just for a short spell though. So if the boats away for 6 months do you live on it for 6 months?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
No, when we come into a foreign port we live in hotels.

The last 6 month deployment I did, we stopped over at Diego Garcia, Bahrain, Mombasa, Crete and somewhere else I can't remember. The one watch flew home from each place and the 5th watch replaced them until the next port when the next watch flew home, those who had flown home from the previous port flew back out and the cycle continued.

Unless you were black watch (like me :( ) and do the whole 6 months.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Are writers black watched? Sumo said something about that, I am going for writer subs will I be on for the whole stint? is that a bit of a bitch?

Yes they are, those patrol reports don't type themselves. On the bright side you get to go on every jolly, your security clearance is higher than GS writers as well.

RabC

MIA
How about talking to your son rather than questioning strangers on the internet, he may even tell you about Gib as well. You may well keep yourself from asking classified questions, if you really are that needy try rear party.

Jess33

Lantern Swinger
Very sorry RabC, I have tried that obvious one! And I wouldn't ask strangers, had I got any answers. But thanks to the people who have took the time to reply xxxx
And apologies to all involved.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Unmanned 'spy' boats...... Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
janner Wooden Boats Diamond Lil's 20
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
slim Better Than boats in yer Bathtub. Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Woo's On Boats The Fleet Air Arm 14
fishhead The World's Top 10 Diesel Boats Submariners 4
T Lb Dems are alone: Labours new Shadow Defence Secretary say four boats will stay Current Affairs 0
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
C Flying boats Current Affairs 13
soleil The Sun: "Pirates On The Rocks - Navy Sinks 17 Boats In Sea Bandit War" The Fleet 2
trelawney126 Nuclear Fuel for boats and Trident production suspended Submariners 0
SONAR-BENDER Iran's new boats Submariners 6
trelawney126 Chinese Navy & SSBN's boats Current Affairs 3
M Dry boats? Submariners 19
Topstop New Spanish Boats Submariners 3
M How often do boats come into port? Submariners 29
M Who actually fires the weapons on boats? Submariners 29
trelawney126 Bogie Knight to dismantle Nuclear Boats Submariners 4
D What does the RN have in defence against Missile Boats? The Fleet 23
MoD_RSS HMS Liverpool fires on Gaddafi boats Current Affairs 0
jesse Hey old and bold does"President Boats" ring a bell for you? Diamond Lil's 0
AfterSSE Interesting squabble about training on Yank boats Submariners 14
BillyNoMates Trams and boats and planes. Diamond Lil's 3
trelawney126 No Hot Bunking for WRNS on Boats Current Affairs 25
soleil Navy News: "Sun Sets On The S-Boats" Submariners 13
soleil Royal Navy - Broadsheet 2009 - Ships/Boats/Aircraft Pull-Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0