Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bit of regret

Alba

Midshipman
So last November I PVR’d on the 28days into Raleigh and the only reason being was missing my 3 children. Still to this day I think how great it would have been to stay and finish, I felt like I let my family down (wife was happy though, she hated me joining).

Did anyone else have some regret after leaving?

Alfacharlie

War Hero
So last November I PVR’d on the 28days into Raleigh and the only reason being was missing my 3 children. Still to this day I think how great it would have been to stay and finish, I felt like I let my family down (wife was happy though, she hated me joining).

So, nope. Got a decent pension.

slim

War Hero
The navy is not for everybody.
Since my time the ages of those joining have risen substantially.
It now seems common practice for both men and women who already have families to join.
In my day this was extremely rare, some guys I knew had kids but were not married so could not take advantage of what the service offered married men. It was normal for WRNS to leave on marriage though some stayed on.
Times change and it would seem so do problems

fishhead

War Hero
I was very happy in the RN right up until my children arrived into my life. I found after the first one it became more of a wrench to go back off leave and after the second one came along the thoughts about what I was missing of their early childhood convinced me I'd be happier as a civvie, so notice was served.
It's my opinion the the OP made a brave choice joining with three kids already at heel and it doesn't surprise me the novelty soon wore off.

soleil

War Hero

Alba

Would it be possible for you to consider joining as a Reservist at some point?

Alba

Midshipman
I was very happy in the RN right up until my children arrived into my life. I found after the first one it became more of a wrench to go back off leave and after the second one came along the thoughts about what I was missing of their early childhood convinced me I'd be happier as a civvie, so notice was served.
It's my opinion the the OP made a brave choice joining with three kids already at heel and it doesn't surprise me the novelty soon wore off.
I thought I would love the time away before I went!

Sumo

War Hero
After 24 years RN the kids, we're still at home, no problem, I found a job away, so only had to put up with them at weekends.
Just to see me off youngest got devoice and moved back in? :):(o_O

slim

War Hero
Solution to ALL your problems
Join Gods Branch the Fleet Air Arm.
Not too much sea time, plenty of time with the kids.

SheffGruff

Badgeman

I left in phase 2 and felt pretty shitty about it given I'd spent about 4-5 years looking forward to it and jumping through hoops to make it happen.

Leaving was still the right decision. My dad never attended my passing-out at Raleigh, he said he was having "bladder problems" at the time.

Whilst at Collingwood last year I learned it was prostate cancer and I've just spent the last month helping out at my parents home, whilst he has been in hospital having surgery for metastases on the spine. The last oncology meeting indicated a rare small cell cancer and his condition has deteriorated pretty quickly.

By going back to my boring old job in software I have the ability to carry on working whichever house I happen to be in. Line management are fairly understanding about using leave or flexible hours when I need to go to hospital with him or walk the dog. The higher salary means I've (re)built up some savings, which I can use to pay for all the extra costs that crop up in travel etc.

If I was in the RN there's a real possibility that all the responsibilities at home would have been dumped onto my sister and even if I was given time to support my family I'd be climbing in to debt doing it.

There were other issues - Collingwood seemed to waste a lot of time, the training pipeline looked like it was frequently disrupted (covid has left my class not much further on one year after I left from what I gather) and I had made assumptions about being in Portsmouth for shore side jobs that was plain wrong. But the risks of being deployed whilst my dad was seriously ill was the last straw.

If they keep increasing the age limits as I get older then maybe one day I'll be in a position to look at it again, but I'm a lot more wary of all the ******* about that it entails.

soleil

War Hero
I left in phase 2 and felt pretty shitty about it given I'd spent about 4-5 years looking forward to it and jumping through hoops to make it happen.

If they keep increasing the age limits as I get older then maybe one day I'll be in a position to look at it again, but I'm a lot more wary of all the ******* about that it entails.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, SG. A very difficult time for all of you. Sending you comfort and strength.

How old are you now?

At some point, not now, obviously, you could look at the Reserves, while you are still thinking about the FT option.

SheffGruff

Badgeman
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, SG. A very difficult time for all of you. Sending you comfort and strength.

How old are you now?

At some point, not now, obviously, you could look at the Reserves, while you are still thinking about the FT option.

I started my current job in September and was considering the MR, I had planned to look into it around March once I'd got through probation and things were more settled. Evidently that plan got overtaken by events...

There was also some uncertainty on what I would actually be able/want to do in the MR given the evolving branch structures, ex-reg branch entry restrictions and the limited training time available. There's a lot of discussion in forums like this that don't put the MR in a favourable light, which made me wonder if I should look at the AR or RAF instead.

That said, this really isn't a priority for me at the moment, for obvious reasons.

Alba

Midshipman

Leaving was still the right decision. My dad never attended my passing-out at Raleigh, he said he was having "bladder problems" at the time.

Whilst at Collingwood last year I learned it was prostate cancer and I've just spent the last month helping out at my parents home, whilst he has been in hospital having surgery for metastases on the spine. The last oncology meeting indicated a rare small cell cancer and his condition has deteriorated pretty quickly.

By going back to my boring old job in software I have the ability to carry on working whichever house I happen to be in. Line management are fairly understanding about using leave or flexible hours when I need to go to hospital with him or walk the dog. The higher salary means I've (re)built up some savings, which I can use to pay for all the extra costs that crop up in travel etc.

If I was in the RN there's a real possibility that all the responsibilities at home would have been dumped onto my sister and even if I was given time to support my family I'd be climbing in to debt doing it.

There were other issues - Collingwood seemed to waste a lot of time, the training pipeline looked like it was frequently disrupted (covid has left my class not much further on one year after I left from what I gather) and I had made assumptions about being in Portsmouth for shore side jobs that was plain wrong. But the risks of being deployed whilst my dad was seriously ill was the last straw.

Sorry to hear about your dad, can’t imagine what you’re going through.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Ganges Boys Kit 1945. A bit different from today History 28
SONAR-BENDER Norman, a bit of Deja Vu........ Diamond Lil's 37
MoD_RSS Caroline does her bit to support community Covid-19 response MoD News 0
higthepig A bit of roughers........... The Quarterdeck 6
R Bit of an unusual question The Fleet 27
B Your probably all a bit too skin for this but..... The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Robber who bit off part of victim’s ear jailed MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully A nifty bit of parking Diamond Lil's 0
Sumo Bit of old history from a brave man History 2
C A little bit of lesser known history Bases / Shore Est 4
C erm... a bit of confusion any help apreciated! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
vauxhall EDP - the best bit Finance & Pensions 3
vauxhall The Best Bit - Have Your Cake and Eat It Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall The Best Bit --- Timing! Finance & Pensions 0
WannabeAdmiral What sort of questions come under the verbal ability bit of the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
L The next bit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Just a bit of clarification with regards system engineer cadet officer recruitment RFA 1
Ballistic A friend bit him, then this happened... Diamond Lil's 5
F The best bit Diamond Lil's 1
S Bit of an odd question... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
alfred_the_great Home Page and the 'rough bit' Site Issues 5
G Revised rules for The Rough Bit. Diamond Lil's 9
G The Rough Bit: The rules. Diamond Lil's 0
C A bit more interview advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Olly013 A bit of advice for aspiring Pilots, Observers and Aircrewmen Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
trelawney126 Clegg gets a bit if Limelight Current Affairs 7
F Bad taste, or just a bit of fun ? Diamond Lil's 8
angry_mac EC, a bit late chaps... The Quarterdeck 19
F A bit of a quandry The Gash Barge 8
K Tinnitus - Bit of help required Health & Fitness 7
K Just a bit of help would be great...? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
EarlyChop F35, a bit naff? Current Affairs 14
xchiefcook A little bit of help please Nearest & Dearest 2
Topstop A nice bit of music, a sobering film. Motoring 4
BillyNoMates A bit of Frankie. Diamond Lil's 1
Stirling Left a bit....right a bit....shit! Diamond Lil's 2
scouse Could be in for a bit of fun!!! when the Septics train us up for Flight Deck Ops The Fleet Air Arm 4
SecondChanceSam Bit Of Help Please Lads? The Corps 37
trelawney126 Fancy a Bit of Mentoring by Ex Home Secretary Diamond Lil's 1
Z Looking for a bit of help please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Z Just looking for a bit of help Submariners 10
The_Caretaker Paddy...........Did you have a bit to drink last night? Miscellaneous 0
chatsharris A bit of advice needed... (Fancy Dress) Diamond Lil's 33
soleil Navy News: A Little Bit Of "Heart And Soul" From Gloucester The Fleet 0
T Looking for a bit of information on the Buccaneer ... The Fleet Air Arm 32
B need a bit of help- selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Rumrat This Bit Aint Funny Current Affairs 21
A Aircraft Controller a bit more info on the job itself Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
K Use Bit-torrent they said Current Affairs 2
wet_blobby A little bit of help please Gentlemen. History 10