A Bit of Preparation Advice?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jack!, May 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I have eight weeks remaining to prepare for my entry into phase one training. I was hoping that I may be offered some advice as how best to prepare. I've laundered my own clothes for years and improving upon my fitness levels is an obvious answer. Is there anything else I could be doing to make the most effective use of my remaining civilian time?

I would like to succeed at Raleigh and I am excited about the prospect of working in a close knit team, however I would like to stand out as a potential officer. I would like to join the Upper Yardman scheme as soon as possible and have been advised by my AFCO to do my very best to shine during phase one and two. Any tips and/or advice on this would be most appreciated.

Lastly I'd like to thank everyone who has replied to my questions, you have been most helpful and I look forward to meeting some of you in the near future.

Thanks again,

2. A Newbie who can spell and write properly...you are a novelty Jack!

I hope it all goes well for you at Raleigh.
  3. You're in pretty much the same boat as me Jack, have you done a RPC?
  4. Jack, I would recommend that you ask your AFCO about the RNAC, its a great prep course and will give you alot of insight into life at Raleigh.
    I have compleated it myself and can tell you it is an experiance you will never forget.

My only other advise to you is to train hard, because if you struggle with all the PT then your admin will also suffer.

Good luck
  5. I did the RPC in February and enjoyed it immensely. I'm always working on my fitness and that seems to be improving so I'm quite confident in terms of that. I just seem to have a lot of spare time and I feel I could be making better use of it.

6. Yep, and someone goes and stamps on them just as you enter the parade ground!
    Seriously and I am sure you would have been asked/advised about this. Do you have the qualifications to go for an officer now? If so then do it would be my advice.
  7. A silly one to over look as mentioned is boots and ironing, i remember the days as i recruit i spent so much time on fitness, but i was up till early hours ironing lol, i am in the process of joining the navy as i have just left the marines. Ironing was most certainly my weak point.