A bit more interview advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cobs2012, Apr 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi just wanted to give you some advice I got absolutely grilled about my job in much more detail that is on the navy website, I just wanted to say make sure you ask some one on here or on Facebook about your training. I got asked about my training in much more detail, lucky there was a submariner down stairs so I asked him questions. There was questions about the tests you do which is different for different trades. Please don't say its on the navy job description its not I found out this especially with the submariners.

Chris Cobban
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Did you pass, Chris?
  3. yes :) had a quick revision lesson with the submariner on the desk and had to learn all my training in 20 mins but passed :)
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Take heart Chris. you can't be one of Gods chosen without the extra effort. Well done on passing
  5. Hi can anyone give me advise for my interview. My job is seamen spec. Would be grateful for any more in depth info on my job, ship, hms raleigh etc. Thanks in advance
  6. janner

Novel idea here, use the search button, top right, it will give you thousands of threads on all you need to know.
  7. Depends on the interviewer the ca who did mine was really laid back but was obviously going quite in depth with the questions. Just make sure you're suited and booted able to tell them where you do phase 1 how long its for you're pay contract and whatever other training you receive after Raleigh. Whatever ships you might be serving on. (I only got asked to name a few submarines after talking about training) and that was it. Try Remember what jobs you've had in the past and responsibilities they entailed I got asked for details about every single one of them which took some thinking

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You cannot fail a Ratings selection interview outright for not knowing anything that isn't on the official online definitive reference source: the RN website - even if it's wrong or out of date on the website. Ignore scare-mongering.

Individuals are advised there is no secret recipe beyond that advised in the selection interview thread, we don't deliberately hold back in order to catch anyone out, it's a Darwinian thing. The more you answer correctly, the more your depth of knowledge will be explored, two reasons: One to gauge the initiative and motivation of the individual to ensure they have chosen the correct job, given the info readily available, Two to illustrate that even if you happen to know economic cruising speeds, range & operating depths of Astute class submarines, there's a whole lot more to learn when you join.

In short, revise the career fact sheet on your chosen branch, such as duration and locations of training elements & what you will be working on/with, your contract (how long, minimum service, how quick you can leave), pay, fitness tests, swimming test & what PRNC involves and you cannot go wrong in that aspect of the selection interview.

Panic not, the selection interview is 99% based around the topic in which you are the definiive subject expert - You.
  9. How come I got told that just looking online wasn't good enough and got sent away to talk to a submariner ? I got asked about phase 1 HMS Raleigh SMQ Dry and Wet and what they involve and how long the training is what the test that I have to do. This wasn't on the Internet.
  10. RN Submarine School Training Activities| Royal Navy

Maybe that and then a bit more info regarding your specific trade? I haven't had my interview yet so not having a pop, but NS is a recruiter and stuff so he is not going to be pulling everyones leg (I doubt...)
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

For those wishing to join the submarine service, we need to be sure the reason you're doing so is based on the fact you know what you're letting yourself in for, rather than simply joining the submarine service because it's quicker, then bleating that you thought you could change your mind after joining. It's hardly a stretch to have someone brief you about training then question you to ensure you've absorbed the detail provided.
  12. Yes I no but if the submariner on the front desk wasn't their I would of probably failed was just trying to tell people just to get a little more advice on your chosen trade than what's just on the website and you should be fine that's all I was saying and it could be good for them to talk to some one who has been in as-well to see if its what they want.

Ill give you an example: no where on the navy website it tells you about watch keeping. Or when you will have tests. So I'm not scaremongering I just want people to be the best prepared they can so they can get on with there joining up.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Every day in the RN is a test. And some people are allowed to join the RN for the purpose of testing others. That's why they invented submariners... :wink:
  14. thanks

Thats helpful thanks, have more of a idea now of what to study up on. Still waiting for an interview date. was told by someone else they had their interview about a month after the PJFT. Also is someone who has had some millitary experience, for example TA likely get an earlier selection date as apposed to someone who has never had any experience ?

15. Ninja_Stoker

I fully agree, it helps to thoroughly research your intended career, it's a bit speculative to assume outright failure as you were provided advice and resources to increase your knowledge base. You may have been deferred for being clueless, but it's unlikely you would've been completely ruled out if you had got that far. One of the best reference sources, in addition to officially provided info, is family & friends as there is less chance of bias.
  16. Submariners do test others, mainly skimmer and crab ASW teams, none have passed the test yet ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. janner

And of course the unloved and never missed Regulator Branch.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Not for Ratings, but Officers have merit based selection where those who complete selection to the highest standard are rewarded by being selected ahead of those that don't score as well.