9 o' clockers are now served

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by type42stoker, Nov 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok we all remember the famous pipe " 9 o' clockers are now served in the junior rates galley, tonight's delight................"

What was your most unusual 'dish' served?

Mine was on HMS Southampton in the 80s, one evening when it was piped "Lobster thermidor"..........and it was!

So c'mon, spill the beans......
  2. Swordfish steaks
  3. Steak sarnies. The steak was perfect, not sire what had happened in the bun house that night, but just about the best steak I have ever had
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Digressing slightly, it always amused me when amongst the tray of hard-boiled "cackle-berries" there was always an uncooked one.

It was always a "junior" that seemed to win it too!
  5. I remember a chef one night trying a cackel-berry curry for 9 o'clockers, t'was truly disgusting.
  6. Got a raw one once in roughers ate it , the chef( Larbi a ginge scouser) vomed :pukel:
  7. Remember in the late 70's a chef on an O boat cracking loads of double yokers for breakfast, it actually made it into Navy News along with a photo of the chef.Supposed to be a record amount apparently.
  8. At St.Vincent in 1963 - bread, Echo margarine and sugar turned into a sarnie! Bliss!
  9. We had this quite often on the Scylla, '79/'80. It was actually quite good.
  10. Herrings in.

Food of champions!!
  11. You're either up early or you've just got back after last nights run.

Herrings in?

12. Used to crack em onto the counter then suck em up :chef: :chef:

Don't think I could do that now
    :pukel: :pukel:
  13. 9 o'clockers - happy memories. I remember being flunky doing them, as soon as they were done and cleared away you could go ashore as you wern't part of the SSFP!! Used to love 4 o'clockers at sea when the chefs freshly made cream buns used to come out.
  14. I remember coming back onboard after a particularly good run ashore, and as I passed the galley, I spotted that the chef had put out bangers for brekkie! Being a bangers afficionado, I thought I might have mine straight away rather than wait, and proceeded to fry up a few. The downside to cooking when pissed is that you're not quite in control, and what I thought was a tub of cooking fat turned out to be synthetic cream. A strange taste indeed!
  15. Well spotted!

Was out all day, came home could'nt sleep (to sober) :money:
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think you maybe confusing 4 O'clockers (at sea), with 9 O'clockers (Alongside), together with Standing Sea Emergency [or Fire] Party (SSEP or SSFP at sea) and the Duty Watch Fire & Emergency Party (Alongside). Sorry to be a pedant, but if the SSFP were on call, you'd have to swim ashore.

Back on track- anyone remember the tinned, square shaped, snorkers we used to get. I thought they were excellent, but you don't seem to be able to get them anywhere.
  17. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

First RN sea time, Nav training on Wilton (the original plastic pig) bouncing around off Weymouth in a F5/6 - bunch of YOs getting greener and greener so chef makes cackleberry curry. All I remember is clambering down to the JRs mess for lunch smelling and seeing it then punching my way through the throng to the fwd heads where I managed to create a beautiful 5 finger spread (the first of many) :pukel:

Oddly I was joined in quick succesion by many of my batch mates.......followed by evil grins from the ships company
  18. First Cod war `59/`60, Chefs delight, fish any imaginable whichway always available round the clock delivered round the clock by "greatful trawler crews", it`s amazing with kye or at tot time, when it`s blowing a hooley!!

Happy days
  19. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

God that makes me feel queasy even now sitting with my marmite toast and tea in my own house!

Seasickness is a funny thing, plagued me in the RNR, when I joined up the RN I spewed my way through BRNC (and IST) then ten years laterit all stopped and now I'm fine.
  20. Spot on and thank you for correcting me!!!!