9 boats on Google earth?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Stepto, Sep 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been having a play on Google Earth and spotted 9 submarines along side in Faslane and Plymouth.

How come there are so many not at sea?

Are they all in service? One looks like it is having alot of work done to it.

Are there anymore on there to be found?

Kind regards
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Google Earth is not real time!!!!!
  3. Spot on Seaweed.

Google pic of my house looks as though
    it was taken a couple of years ago.

4. Really? Is that why I can't see myself when I wave at the sky???

I know it's not real time. My house was built in 2005 and that's not even on there.

I was talking about when the arial photos were taken. I think they were done between 2004 and 2007.
  5. The pics of Faslane and Devonport may well include one or more boats twice, as they will not have been taken at the same time. The boat on 6 berth at Faslane appears to be a T-boat in Ramp getting shots of the nozzles done.
  6. May also be around the time of the ME's problems that kept the S & T boats alongside?
  7. Go to Rosyth and you will see a few more still awaiting a 1st SL and Minister of Defence who have the bottle to actually do something about them. Dreadnought has been rusting since 1982. All avoid making a decision on their watch just avoid it because it will be expensive and unpopular.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, the other interesting thing about Google Earth is that it uses a military satellite, and guess what?

The photographs of allied military installations, funnily enough are "digitally enhanced" and some are surprisingly blurred.
  9. Nothing to do with Google earth but is that THE Eddie Burke, ex top bunk 3d9 mess HMS Albion, Just wondering and my house picture on Google Earth has got my old car in it. She's been gone a long time now
  10. If you look on Google Earth at Rosyth dockyard you will see quite a few boats alongside. There are the 4 old R class bombers there just waiting to die in the next hundred years or so
  11. Google Earth the Murmansk area.

See how many of them cold war types are about!!! Quite interesting. Especially if you scan down the river!
  12. Cold War type biting...
    Kildin Island is a bit fuzzy....can't see any shore based radars. It's much clearer from PD.
    Never went down the river...no need, 'cos they came to us!
    Gremika is fuzzy as well...now there's a place to get banished to!
  13. Never heard of ANY of those places......
    was never anywhere near them....they
    do not exist, and neither does Novaya

Google-Earth Buckingham Palace - and see
    just how big her back garden is.

Added:- Work won't let me see it, but apparently
    this is that non-existent place called Kildin Island.
    (A bit of cut'n'paste may be required)

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is that a euphemism?! :oops: :wink:
  15. Sarge!
    Long time no hear from.
    Where have you been??
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If it isn't, it ought to be. :thumright:
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm sure Thingy will along shortly... :lol:
  18. try virtual earth you can zoom down and see the 4 resolution class at rosyth and look at differant angles a sad sight
  19. Use Google Earth and type in Abbey Dore. See if you can spot the strange blue aircraft where there are no runways near by. Also have a good look for the trains in among the woods where no railway tracks link them to the main line and all those large and small firing ranges and other odd buildings.

I wonder what goes on there then?

You can see my house......before the garden went ballistic that is!