9/11 Ten years on

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

The firemen would NOT have been considering that the building would fall. That was a great shock to the structural engineers, authorities, etc..... that the building would fail so quickly.

YES, they knew the buildings might partially collapse after some time and might later fail, but they did NOT go in there in the knowledge of what was going to happen. AND, as firemen they would have known that even with their training things could go wrong in a burning, damaged building which could kill them - they knew they were, yet again, putting themselves at risk.

HAVING SAID THAT, all firemen risk their lives on a daily basis, and almost everyone has a great fear of death by fire (actually normally asphixiation) - I certainly do. I would find it very difficult to do that job, even though I know that today's training is very strict.

The US have grasped hold of the "heroic" aspect of the firemen (and police) because they want to take something positive away from the tradgedy. It's not exactly propaganda, more a need for reassurance, but it is not totally honest.

NotmeChief

Banned

The firemen would NOT have been considering that the building would fall. That was a great shock to the structural engineers, authorities, etc..... that the building would fail so quickly.

YES, they knew the buildings might partially collapse after some time and might later fail, but they did NOT go in there in the knowledge of what was going to happen. AND, as firemen they would have known that even with their training things could go wrong in a burning, damaged building which could kill them - they knew they were, yet again, putting themselves at risk.

HAVING SAID THAT, all firemen risk their lives on a daily basis, and almost everyone has a great fear of death by fire (actually normally asphixiation) - I certainly do. I would find it very difficult to do that job, even though I know that today's training is very strict.

The US have grasped hold of the "heroic" aspect of the firemen (and police) because they want to take something positive away from the tradgedy. It's not exactly propaganda, more a need for reassurance, but it is not totally honest.

The first decent post on here.

G

guestm

Having watched a programme based on the firefighters, after the collapse of the south tower, a section of them who had made it out took a decision and re-entered the north tower. This section DID know that collapse was possible and that it was unlikely they were coming out. This was shown on handheld camera footage of the radio conversation.

To say they were just doing their job is churlish, events on that scale are hardly in their training package.

Waspie

War Hero
"I had you all on a bite and you all fell for it" jolly japes after all you are such a joker :D

SJRM_RN, I too sit waiting for the, what is now, standard response from NMC when challenged. Not too bad for such a prolific poster and all before puberty.

frogman007

War Hero
SJRM and I have had our moments but I fully back him today. NMC you're unbelievable with your comments! With the word hero banded about to morons like Rooney and Co I find it hard to believe you can't see these firefighters(/men/& rescue) as true heroes?? You're either after a simple rise or quite plainly a dick? Tend to think it's the latter.

diesel

Lantern Swinger
Is this the fellah that complained about the 'sick jokes' after the Jap Tsunami. Now he doesn't seem to accept the heroic's displayed on 9/11. Self contradictory?
or :confused2:

Also... even if you did have a 'college' in the AMS, it would be a very small one, why would one risk his life to rescue it? :dontknow:

Latest Threads