Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9/11 Ten years on

NotmeChief

Banned
So, the fact that the building was on fire anyway doesn't count then? The fire had no chance of spreading to where they could have potentially been when they went back in there?

Anyone who runs back into a burning building to rescue his fellow man, if he knows it is going to collapse or not, is performing a heroic act.

It's what they are trained to do, that is their job, they enter burning building and rescue people that is why they are called 'Fire and Rescue' and the people called 'Firemen' doh numbnuts.

NotmeChief

Banned
There were a large number of Firefighters who took a decision at a time when they knew it could come down to go back in and try again, knowing full well that it was very likely they wouldn't be walking out again.

Of course, silly me, you were there at the time, they said to you 'goodbye mlp I'm going in and probably wont be coming out'. What bollox.

You would go into a blazing AMS to save a college not thinking that, if anything passed through your mind it wouldn't be about not getting out, it would be 'I've got get him, I've got to get him'.

Last edited:

NotmeChief

Banned
Worst comment I have read by far. Yes it's their job but by far they went way beyond what there pay cheque required of them.

Nothing but respect for them - all of them.

I haven't said anything about not having respect or admiration for them, of course I have, but lets not talk bullshit.

TrialsLife

Lantern Swinger
It's what they are trained to do, that is their job, they enter burning building and rescue people that is why they are called 'Fire and Rescue' and the people called 'Firemen' doh numbnuts.

Of course, silly me, you were there at the time, they said to you 'goodbye mlp I'm going in and probably wont be coming out'. What bollox.

You would go into a blazing AMS to save a college not thinking that, if anything passed through your mind it wouldn't be about not getting out, it would be 'I've got get him, I've got to get him'.

I haven't said anything about not having respect or admiration for them, of course I have, but lets not talk bullshit.

Can you try and learn how to multi quote you tit? Its annoying enough having to read your posts without the triple postings.

A firemans job, is to perform his/her work whilst minimizing the risks to themselves. If they choose to go into a building, where the risk is sky high, knowing that they might not come back it is a heroic act. Their job is to save lives, they're no good to anybody if their dead!

NotmeChief

Banned
******** said:
Can you try and learn how to multi quote you tit? Its annoying enough having to read your posts without the triple postings.

I'll post how I want not how some nobber wants.

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

The firemen would NOT have been considering that the building would fall. That was a great shock to the structural engineers, authorities, etc..... that the building would fail so quickly.

YES, they knew the buildings might partially collapse after some time and might later fail, but they did NOT go in there in the knowledge of what was going to happen. AND, as firemen they would have known that even with their training things could go wrong in a burning, damaged building which could kill them - they knew they were, yet again, putting themselves at risk.

HAVING SAID THAT, all firemen risk their lives on a daily basis, and almost everyone has a great fear of death by fire (actually normally asphixiation) - I certainly do. I would find it very difficult to do that job, even though I know that today's training is very strict.

The US have grasped hold of the "heroic" aspect of the firemen (and police) because they want to take something positive away from the tradgedy. It's not exactly propaganda, more a need for reassurance, but it is not totally honest.

NotmeChief

Banned

The firemen would NOT have been considering that the building would fall. That was a great shock to the structural engineers, authorities, etc..... that the building would fail so quickly.

YES, they knew the buildings might partially collapse after some time and might later fail, but they did NOT go in there in the knowledge of what was going to happen. AND, as firemen they would have known that even with their training things could go wrong in a burning, damaged building which could kill them - they knew they were, yet again, putting themselves at risk.

HAVING SAID THAT, all firemen risk their lives on a daily basis, and almost everyone has a great fear of death by fire (actually normally asphixiation) - I certainly do. I would find it very difficult to do that job, even though I know that today's training is very strict.

The US have grasped hold of the "heroic" aspect of the firemen (and police) because they want to take something positive away from the tradgedy. It's not exactly propaganda, more a need for reassurance, but it is not totally honest.

The first decent post on here.

G

guestm

Having watched a programme based on the firefighters, after the collapse of the south tower, a section of them who had made it out took a decision and re-entered the north tower. This section DID know that collapse was possible and that it was unlikely they were coming out. This was shown on handheld camera footage of the radio conversation.

To say they were just doing their job is churlish, events on that scale are hardly in their training package.

Waspie

War Hero
"I had you all on a bite and you all fell for it" jolly japes after all you are such a joker :D

SJRM_RN, I too sit waiting for the, what is now, standard response from NMC when challenged. Not too bad for such a prolific poster and all before puberty.

NotmeChief

Banned
Not the old, 'I won't call you names, I will just pick you up on a typo and try to get some one-up-manship that way'.

frogman007

War Hero
SJRM and I have had our moments but I fully back him today. NMC you're unbelievable with your comments! With the word hero banded about to morons like Rooney and Co I find it hard to believe you can't see these firefighters(/men/& rescue) as true heroes?? You're either after a simple rise or quite plainly a dick? Tend to think it's the latter.

diesel

Lantern Swinger
Is this the fellah that complained about the 'sick jokes' after the Jap Tsunami. Now he doesn't seem to accept the heroic's displayed on 9/11. Self contradictory?
or :confused2:

Also... even if you did have a 'college' in the AMS, it would be a very small one, why would one risk his life to rescue it? :dontknow:

I have just returned from New York. When there I visited St Peters Church at the sight of the World Trade Centre. This became a rest centre for the rescue workers during 9/11. It is still a working church but has many reminders from that awful day. 343 Firefighters lost their lives that day. If your in NY you must go there. If you come out with dry eyes - then you have no soul or feelings.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Ten years of the Lancaster House Treaties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ten years of protecting people and supporting business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Charity Commission staff engagement scores reach highest level in ten years MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Ten years before the mast The Gash Barge 7
soleil Metro: If Only Your Mum Was Ten Years Younger: 10 Of The Worst Valentine’s Day Dates The Internet - Best and Worst 2
Rover SBS. Vindicated after ten years. The Corps 13
tentoes Ten years ago.... The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Royal Navy Merlins mark ten years on the front line Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS PM outlines his Ten Point Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution for 250,000 jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ACT app reaches ten thousand users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ten independent chairs announced to scrutinise modern slavery cases MoD News 0
S Ten Simple Rules Diamond Lil's 22
P Top Ten Phrases! Miscellaneous 0
soleil Mail on Sunday: "Ten Of The Greatest Battlefield Tactics" History 3
soleil Mail: "Ten of the Greatest British Naval Victories" History 0
moshe7158 my fav top ten boxers iv ever seen Sports and Adventure Training 9
B PARA TEN Sports and Adventure Training 12
B Discount Codes & the Top Ten toys for Christmas.... Diamond Lil's 1
T Wednesday 7th May: Ten Minute Rule Bill: ...Ghurkas Current Affairs 0
S Not another question or ten please! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Harry_off_the_Hermes First random ten tracks on your mp3 player. Diamond Lil's 33
slim Immigrants have taken four in ten homes since 1997 Diamond Lil's 42
Canaldrifter Ten Point Inland Cruise Charity 18
2 It's only ten minutes. History 5
slim Ten signals of areas 'on the up' The Gash Barge 7
sgtpepperband Sailor's Ten Commandments The Quarterdeck 2
MoD_RSS Most homes delivered in 33 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 new satellites to be built in Glasgow in next three years as part of new innovative constellation service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM to announce largest military investment in 30 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted announces new early years inspection arrangements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for schools, colleges and early years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New HIV diagnoses in gay and bisexual men at their lowest in 20 years MoD News 0
soleil FB: RN: Thirty Years Ago This Week - Women Deployed To Sea For The First Time The Fleet 16
MoD_RSS Welsh beef to be exported to the US for first time in over 20 years MoD News 0
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
MoD_RSS First exports of UK beef to the USA in 20 years underway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New parents urged to have their say on available early years support via new online questionnaire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Events and promotions bosses banned for 18 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring 12 years of quality education for children around the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools begin teaching reformed Early Years Foundation Stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rohingya crisis: Three years on MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Early years support package to help close Covid language gap MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish teenagers each to get access to pot of money over the next nine years MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Stability of the early years workforce in England report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA open letter to the early years sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Teachers set for biggest pay rise in fifteen years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reflecting on the genocide in Srebrenica, 25 years on MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Campervan people smuggler jailed for 4 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence pledges to evolve faster in the years ahead MoD News 0