820 squadron

pixie

Any one out there who was on 820 with A3 Gannets back in 57/58 or who was with us at Ford when we changed over to Whirlwinds

Pierre_Argh

Lantern Swinger
Two "find the sub" dits... the first directly concerns 820NAS, the second they were participating in:

Flying off Invincible during a CASEX the boys had been using JEZ and pinging on a UK Sub... when things got a bit tricky, and they were "temporarily unaware of the Sub's position"

Senior Pilot, flying one of the cabs, calls "Hot" and throws the Seaking over into a sharply banked turn (for a SKG?) and dives towards the Sub he can see on the surface... but as they approach, realises it's not the UK Friendly, but a Soviet conventional boat, running on the surface that no one else seemed to be aware of or know anything about.

Many years ago, a message came through to Culdrose that the RAF had lost contact with a Soviet Sub moving up the South West Approaches... and the call came out to "Scramble"... All available Seakings on the Air Station leapt into the air, crews ready and willing for a bit of "hot contact with a real Red"... the action had been going on for about an hour, when ATC received a call from the Civilian S61 Helicopter on the scheduled passenger run between Penzance & the Isles of Scilly saying, "Did you know there's a Submarine down here on the surface?".... Guess what it was?

I was lucky enough to serve on 820 from 87-89. Did the Outback 88 trip to Australia on Ark Royal.
Was on when one of our Sea Kings landed on a Harrier.

chockhead819

War Hero
well not 820 but 819, we had a middy observer late 70s doing a casex with Oberon in the Clyde, they found it went through the procedure for dropping a depth charge, only trouble was the middy actually dropped it & it hit the Oberon. So when Oberon goes back into Faslane theres the depth charge wedged just below the sail.
Also didn't an 820 cab depth charge a whale down south.

ssam

Sorry-- no to the original question but I was with 820 at Culdrose '68/'69. Ahhh memories.... Porthleven Jane.. a freeezing snowy winter. a cab shedding a blade and embedding itself in a hangar door. a few of us clubbed together and bought a 'squadron car', (a Citroen DS 19), for shore runs. Later we went on Eagle on exercise in the Arctic. I also recall one or two' float tests' when main gearboxes failed.
Jog any memories for others out there?

ssam

jiver

Tel air. I was on 820 56/57 gannets from formation at eglinton until disbanding ford 57. remember exercise strikeback in the artic. We had nice warm clothing but crappy rope soled shoes which were freezing. One of the tels named romaine came from the same town as myself. I see my old oppo pixie is on here ex 820 man.

A3 Gannets? I flew in AS1 and T2 Gannets at Eglinton in 56/7 737Sqdn, the only Mk 3 Gannet was the AEW, and that was in the early sixties, as far as I know. Happy days then.

Porthleven Jane, what a stunner, think she married a 'Mcalpine fusilier' one of the navvies that was working on the Culdrose rebuild in the 70's, she loved me, thought I was a cherry boy. Believe she moved to Leicester in 70's.

very hospitable lady !!!

Forgot to mention that I served 820> Blake, > then 826 Tiger 76 /77/78

Waspie

War Hero
exganges68 said:
Porthleven Jane, what a stunner, think she married a 'Mcalpine fusilier' one of the navvies that was working on the Culdrose rebuild in the 70's, she loved me, thought I was a cherry boy. Believe she moved to Leicester in 70's.

very hospitable lady !!!

Forgot to mention that I served 820> Blake, > then 826 Tiger 76 /77/78
Welcome aboard, exganges68. You must have been trawling to dig this thread up.

I take it your user name refers to a ganges boy circa 1968.

If so - Nozza!!!!! :lol: Beat ya by a year. 1967. And a WAFU to boot.

Spent my pinging time avoiding the big pinger squadrons. 819, nice quite!!!! and stuck out of the way. :wink:

Waspie

War Hero
exganges68 said:
Ty for the welcome waspie, you must have been at ganges with Rip Kirby
Don't think so. I started Sep 67. Anson Div on the main camp. Then Ahhhhhh Condor Sep 68 for trade training - grubber. Three month fixed wing flight theory then Portland!!!! Helicopters for the rest of my natural!!!! :roll: Good ole Navy :lol:

pixie

Hi Jiver,
It has taken me 2 yrs to find your reply so who am I talking to.
I certainly remember "Strikeback" I still have the certificate.
Please get back and tell me who my "oppo" is.
Pixie Parkes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil 820 Squadron return to Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 6
flynavy A tribute to Lt Moose the DAEO of 820 who tried to kill... The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Squadron Leader Tom Goble MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gibraltar squadron to receive two cutting-edge Fast Patrol Craft MoD News 0
D 801(FF) Squadron and the Battle of Britain???? History 40
MoD_RSS UK-Qatari Typhoons take off as joint squadron MoD News 0
soleil Tw: HMS Cattistock M31 - Second Mine Countermeasures Squadron - Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 The Fleet 0
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Second Lightning fighter jet squadron arrives in UK MoD News 0
C 809 Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: Fourth Quick Reaction Alert Squadron for RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
K Fishery protection squadron The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Joint UK-Qatari Typhoon squadron stands up as defence relationship deepens MoD News 0
soleil RAF: "Four Lightning jets of 617 Squadron Are Currently Refuelling Off The Coast Of Canada On Their Way To The UK & Their New Home Of RAF Marham." The Fleet Air Arm 5
MoD_RSS News story: RAF’s legendary Dambusters squadron reforms to fly F-35 jets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister reveals new RAF Squadron at Qatar event MoD News 0
onions 8th Submarine Squadron Submariners 4
MichaelBully1 Live Bait Squadron Society - latest bulletin /link to documentary History 0
M 806 squadron with a RAF exchange Pilot The Fleet Air Arm 7
jannerpig88 Inshore training squadron ? The Fleet 15
burnleymitchy engineering training squadron Bases / Shore Est 6
BillyNoMates 438 Tactical Helicopter Squadron (Canada) The Fleet Air Arm 3
janner SM2 SUNSHINE SQUADRON REUNION Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "The Return Of Britain's 'Top Guns': Royal Navy Recommissions Training Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 11
C Gibraltar squadron? Current Affairs 2
soleil Mail: "The Helicopter Squadron That Saves 300 Lives A Year" The Fleet Air Arm 10
Goatman_Blue Hong Kong Squadron - heroin ? Current Affairs 0
soleil Navy News: "Proud To A P – Force Protection Squadron Parades For The Last Time" The Fleet 20
T Fleet Air Arm pilot in exchange with RAF Typhoon Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 30
scouse 617 squadron F35s The Fleet Air Arm 27
P How to get selected for the Gibraltar squadron? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: Awards for Royal Navy mine countermeasures squadron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Tornado squadron returns from Afghanistan MoD News 2
scouse 736 squadron The Fleet Air Arm 2
scouse 801 Squadron Harriers The Fleet Air Arm 10
MoD_RSS News story: RAF squadron takes delivery of 100th Typhoon MoD News 0
janner Sunshine Squadron Reunion 2nd March 2013 Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Libya operation recognition for Naval Air Squadron personnel MoD News 0
soleil ThisIsTheWestCountry: "Culdrose Squadron Marks 60 Years Of Continual Service" The Fleet Air Arm 1
3 P squadron rnr details Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 31
soleil RN Website: "End Of An Era For Junglie Squadron" The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Navy Search and Rescue squadron to begin Olympic Flame's UK relay Current Affairs 0
Patrick Squadron name badges Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Sea King squadron home from Helmand Current Affairs 0
soleil "Royal Naval Reservists Swap Day Job For Year In Fast Patrol Squadron In Gibraltar" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 18
janner SM2 Sunshine Squadron Bash Submariners 7
gregleeds Fishery Protection Squadron Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
soleil BFBS News: "Tour Extended For 854 Naval Air Squadron" The Fleet Air Arm 1
M Fishery Protection Squadron Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12