Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

801(FF) Squadron and the Battle of Britain????

Digger77

I've been struggling with this for over 6 years and last night had one of those toss and turn nights as my mind continually poured over the question of, "how?" How is that my grandfather Lt. Cdr. William W. H. Martyn, DSC and Bar (RN) has the the Battle of Britain clasp, but there is not a single record of him with regards to having anything to do with the BoB? He was active in single-seat fighters during the prescribed dates, with 801 (FF) primarily stationed at RNAS Hatston from June to November 1940. Curiously enough, 804 (FF) which was under RAF Coastal Command and is one of the FAA BoB recognized squadrons was also stationed at Hatston. Unfortunately Bill's first log book was lost when HMS Indomitable was bombed by JU-87's on August 12, 1942 during Operation Pedestal. All we have is his log book from July 1941 to the end of his flying days. Is it possible that certain records were destroyed in the 1960's (I heard a story about this a few years back but can't remember the details)? I have yet to ascertain 801's Squadron diary, but I find it hard to believe that all the authors and historians that have poured over this subject for years and in great detail would have missed something so glaring. Fact remains, he has the Battle of Britain clasp, but I have no idea HOW. Any help gratefully appreciated. If you help me solve the mystery you will live for all-time at moosemartyn.com (currently being re-worked and will be back up on July 1)
(The medals and clasps were professionally cleaned and framed in the late 80's - they were removed briefly in 2016 for this picture to be taken)medals.jpg

soleil

War Hero
Is there anything relevant here?

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
I've been struggling with this for over 6 years and last night had one of those toss and turn nights as my mind continually poured over the question of, "how?" How is that my grandfather Lt. Cdr. William W. H. Martyn, DSC and Bar (RN) has the the Battle of Britain clasp, but there is not a single record of him with regards to having anything to do with the BoB? He was active in single-seat fighters during the prescribed dates, with 801 (FF) primarily stationed at RNAS Hatston from June to November 1940. Curiously enough, 804 (FF) which was under RAF Coastal Command and is one of the FAA BoB recognized squadrons was also stationed at Hatston. Unfortunately Bill's first log book was lost when HMS Indomitable was bombed by JU-87's on August 12, 1942 during Operation Pedestal. All we have is his log book from July 1941 to the end of his flying days. Is it possible that certain records were destroyed in the 1960's (I heard a story about this a few years back but can't remember the details)? I have yet to ascertain 801's Squadron diary, but I find it hard to believe that all the authors and historians that have poured over this subject for years and in great detail would have missed something so glaring. Fact remains, he has the Battle of Britain clasp, but I have no idea HOW. Any help gratefully appreciated. If you help me solve the mystery you will live for all-time at moosemartyn.com (currently being re-worked and will be back up on July 1)
(The medals and clasps were professionally cleaned and framed in the late 80's - they were removed briefly in 2016 for this picture to be taken)View attachment 53272
A beautiful set of medals, good luck with your efforts to establish the BoB facts. Just read Bills exploits, you should be rightfully proud

Digger77

Have you applied for your grandfather's actual service record from the MoD, Digger77?
I have not. It is on the list of to-do's for as soon as they are accepting requests again.

You are probably aware of this site but it reveals the story of quite a remarkable man.
I am aware of CFB Esquimalt's website - the same piece appears on moosemartyn.com. It was written by Peter Lawson. Unfortunately all efforts to reach him have been nought and I suspect he may have passed.
A beautiful set of medals, good luck with your efforts to establish the BoB facts. Just read Bills exploits, you should be rightfully proud
Thank you. Yes, very proud.

soleil

War Hero
I am aware of CFB Esquimalt's website - the same piece appears on moosemartyn.com. It was written by Peter Lawson. Unfortunately all efforts to reach him have been nought and I suspect he may have passed.

There seems to be a phone number for a Peter Lawson in the right place on the White Pages for Canada, but I don't know whether the information is up to date.

Digger77

There seems to be a phone number for a Peter Lawson in the right place on the White Pages for Canada, but I don't know whether the information is up to date.
Why I never attempted that is beyond me. I will give it a try and let you know. Thank you.

Union Jack

Badgeman
Have you applied for your grandfather's actual service record from the MoD, Digger77?
A truly remarkable record, of which you must be rightly proud.

When you do apply for the service record, you may also like to consider applying separately for the Arctic Star on your late grandfather's behalf. His service in FURIOUS looks as if it could well qualify him, based on the criteria at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility#world-war-2-medals and assuming that you are the official next of kin. If so, apologies for the cost of remounting!

There is some more detail available at https://www.unithistories.com/officers/RN_officersM2.html the note at the end of which leads - indirectly - to a treasure trove of correspondence at https://www.canadianletters.ca/search/site/martyn which you may well have accessed already, or indeed have direct access to the originals.

Intriguingly, I have not seen any reference to your grandfather at https://bbm.org.uk although the webpage regarding compilation seems to suggest that there could be omissions - and there a slight light blue emphasis which might not have taken full account of all dark blue aircrew, especially if they were on temporary loan between squadrons. Perhaps the FAA Museum may have more information.

Good hunting!

Jack

Digger77

When you do apply for the service record, you may also like to consider applying separately for the Arctic Star on your late grandfather's behalf. His service in FURIOUS looks as if it could well qualify him, based on the criteria at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility#world-war-2-medals and assuming that you are the official next of kin. If so, apologies for the cost of remounting!

There is some more detail available at https://www.unithistories.com/officers/RN_officersM2.html the note at the end of which leads - indirectly - to a treasure trove of correspondence at https://www.canadianletters.ca/search/site/martyn which you may well have accessed already, or indeed have direct access to the originals.

Intriguingly, I have not seen any reference to your grandfather at https://bbm.org.uk although the webpage regarding compilation seems to suggest that there could be omissions - and there a slight light blue emphasis which might not have taken full account of all dark blue aircrew, especially if they were on temporary loan between squadrons. Perhaps the FAA Museum may have more information.

Good hunting!

Jack

I noted the Arctic Star criteria match some time ago, but had forgotten about it. I thank you for the reminder. I will forward the necessary details to my aunt (has to be eldest child, after spouse, to apply).

When I originally did research for the website back in 2015 I cam across unithistories.com, an excellent resource. There are some mistake with regards to his details, but it is for the most part accurate.

I have all of his letters written home between 1936 and 1945 (there are over 300) and all are available on moosemartyn.com (my website dedicated to his service). The site is down until July 1st, as I am re-working it.

There is not a single source on the internet, nor in any book (that I have seen) that notes my grandfather in any way with regards to the Battle of Britain. So there is no surprise that he can not be found on bbm.org.uk. I got in touch with them years ago and they were useless. I've also spoken to a couple of the eminent authors on the subject and they have zero interest. Which is always surprises me, because I thought historians loved a good mystery and especially like getting to the truth of things.

If I ever get to the bottom of this mystery it will be noted (loudly, for all the years I have tried to figure it out) on moosemartyn.com. I might recommend bookmarking it and having a look on or after July 1st.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and share the information that you did.

D

Deleted 96812

Good hunting!

Jack

[/QUOTE]
He didn't serve on Furious He served Glorious 801 squadron Ark Royal 801 sqdn Indomitable 880 sqdn Argus 880 sqdn Ruler Ships Coy as "Wings".
Have a look at Aboard Ships with Wings by Peter F Lawson he's featured as A Kingpin in the Service.
You can find it on Google

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
He didn't serve on Furious He served Glorious 801 squadron Ark Royal 801 sqdn Indomitable 880 sqdn Argus 880 sqdn Ruler Ships Coy as "Wings".
Have a look at Aboard Ships with Wings by Peter F Lawson he's featured as A Kingpin in the Service.
[/QUOTE]
If you read the link on my last post, Under Commanding Officer, it says he was on HMS Furious prior to joining HMS Ruler!

D

Deleted 96812

If you read the link on my last post, Under Commanding Officer, it says he was on HMS Furious prior to joining HMS Ruler!
[/QUOTE]
It must have been as a passenger as there is no mention of that in the Navy Lists. He only served for 7 years in the RN after the RAF.12 October 1937 to the same date in 1944. There is no mention of him in the Navy Lists after1944.

Lt. Cdr. William WH Martyn/Home
www.moosemartyn.com › Carriers

In his Log Book, HMS Formidable and HMS Battler are also noted. ... HMS Ark Royal HMS Argus HMS Furious HMS Glorious HMS Indomitable HMS Ruler HMS ...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 96812

It must have been as a passenger as there is no mention of that in the Navy Lists. He only served for 7 years in the RN after the RAF.12 October 1937 to the same date in 1944. There is no mention of him in the Navy Lists after1944.

Lt. Cdr. William WH Martyn/Home
www.moosemartyn.com › Carriers

In his Log Book, HMS Formidable and HMS Battler are also noted. ... HMS Ark Royal HMS Argus HMS Furious HMS Glorious HMS Indomitable HMS Ruler HMS ...
[/QUOTE]
Asa pilot he would use many decks as a visitor His Log Boog is not a record of the ships he served on.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Folks, can you please learn how to use the quote function correctly as this is making for confusing reading.

D

Deleted 96812

You are referring to unofficial publications. The only official guide is Navy List. He did not serve HMS Furious Victualled Aboard. If he used her as a spare deck or any other spare deck he would most likely have had to pay for any meals he had on board. Some Mess secretaries usualyl the Doc might have been kindhearted and let him off.

Digger77

You are referring to unofficial publications. The only official guide is Navy List. He did not serve HMS Furious Victualled Aboard. If he used her as a spare deck or any other spare deck he would most likely have had to pay for any meals he had on board. Some Mess secretaries usualyl the Doc might have been kindhearted and let him off.
He did serve in HMS Furious, off and on from February to June 1944. The details are clearly marked out in his log book. Which you can all see in high res on moosemartyn.com, from July 1st.

D

Deleted 96812

He did serve in HMS Furious, off and on from February to June 1944. The details are clearly marked out in his log book. Which you can all see in high res on moosemartyn.com, from July 1st.
We are down to semantics. Serve? we will need to determine just what that means.
My late brothers log booksees him at an Archangel Naval Air Base for nearly a month whilst his Sea Hurricane was waiting for spares to arrive from Britain He didn't serve there although I remember that he remembered it with much pleasure. Vodka and voluptuous females with bad teeth!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scouse 801 Squadron Harriers The Fleet Air Arm 10
F 801 Squadron - Disbanded?? The Fleet Air Arm 20
Joint_Force_Harrier The Mighty 801 Naval Fighter Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 85
Joint_Force_Harrier 801 Sea Harrier Senior Rates Reunion The Fleet Air Arm 17
bitter_and_twisted Will 800 and 801 split? The Fleet Air Arm 6
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Squadron Leader Tom Goble MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gibraltar squadron to receive two cutting-edge Fast Patrol Craft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Qatari Typhoons take off as joint squadron MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Tw: HMS Cattistock M31 - Second Mine Countermeasures Squadron - Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 The Fleet 0
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Second Lightning fighter jet squadron arrives in UK MoD News 0
C 809 Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: Fourth Quick Reaction Alert Squadron for RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
K Fishery protection squadron The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Joint UK-Qatari Typhoon squadron stands up as defence relationship deepens MoD News 0
soleil RAF: "Four Lightning jets of 617 Squadron Are Currently Refuelling Off The Coast Of Canada On Their Way To The UK & Their New Home Of RAF Marham." The Fleet Air Arm 5
MoD_RSS News story: RAF’s legendary Dambusters squadron reforms to fly F-35 jets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister reveals new RAF Squadron at Qatar event MoD News 0
onions 8th Submarine Squadron Submariners 4
MichaelBully1 Live Bait Squadron Society - latest bulletin /link to documentary History 0
M 806 squadron with a RAF exchange Pilot The Fleet Air Arm 7
jannerpig88 Inshore training squadron ? The Fleet 15
burnleymitchy engineering training squadron Bases / Shore Est 6
BillyNoMates 438 Tactical Helicopter Squadron (Canada) The Fleet Air Arm 3
janner SM2 SUNSHINE SQUADRON REUNION Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "The Return Of Britain's 'Top Guns': Royal Navy Recommissions Training Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 11
C Gibraltar squadron? Current Affairs 2
soleil Mail: "The Helicopter Squadron That Saves 300 Lives A Year" The Fleet Air Arm 10
Goatman_Blue Hong Kong Squadron - heroin ? Current Affairs 0
soleil Navy News: "Proud To A P – Force Protection Squadron Parades For The Last Time" The Fleet 20
T Fleet Air Arm pilot in exchange with RAF Typhoon Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 30
scouse 617 squadron F35s The Fleet Air Arm 27
P How to get selected for the Gibraltar squadron? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: Awards for Royal Navy mine countermeasures squadron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Tornado squadron returns from Afghanistan MoD News 2
scouse 736 squadron The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: RAF squadron takes delivery of 100th Typhoon MoD News 0
janner Sunshine Squadron Reunion 2nd March 2013 Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Libya operation recognition for Naval Air Squadron personnel MoD News 0
soleil ThisIsTheWestCountry: "Culdrose Squadron Marks 60 Years Of Continual Service" The Fleet Air Arm 1
3 P squadron rnr details Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 31
soleil RN Website: "End Of An Era For Junglie Squadron" The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Navy Search and Rescue squadron to begin Olympic Flame's UK relay Current Affairs 0
Patrick Squadron name badges Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Sea King squadron home from Helmand Current Affairs 0
soleil "Royal Naval Reservists Swap Day Job For Year In Fast Patrol Squadron In Gibraltar" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 18
janner SM2 Sunshine Squadron Bash Submariners 7
gregleeds Fishery Protection Squadron Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
soleil BFBS News: "Tour Extended For 854 Naval Air Squadron" The Fleet Air Arm 1