8 Type 45s after all

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by phil1972, Jul 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Torygraph is reporting in their article on the new Carriers that the Defence Secretary news also included an indication that we would be getting all 8 type 45s as originally planned and not only 6 as recently suggested. This sounds too good to be true, all we need now is to get all the Astutes and we might still be a "blue water" navy.
  2. I hope its true but I won't be holding my breath waiting for an announcement.
  3. As I understood the Ministers statement he didn't rule them out but said he would consider any further orders in the light of the operational need at the time.

My take… If Bandy pushes for two more expensive shiney toys he will need to trade them off against something else, probably the desperately late Future Surface Combatant, or whatever they are calling it this year.
  4. We'll take that as it's better than a flat no.

I wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath until it happens though.

5. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Well, there's two in the water at the moment (I believe) and three bow sections currently in the sheds in VT. I'd say six, but would be happy to be wrong.

6. I watched the televised debate in parliament. Browne, on being questioned whether we were getting 8 T45s, replied with words to the effect that we should be grateful we've got the 2 carriers we wanted and to let the dust settle regards them, before we start badgering for another couple of destroyers.

My money's on 6.
  7. Just think of them like you do when ordering anything from pusser. You will end up being promised two thirds of what you ordered. In reality you might end up with half of what you wanted. The original bid was for twelve ships. That was later cut to eight. Six might actually get to sea.

Semper Strenuissima.