8 months since medical,still waiting!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by will!, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i've been on about this before but its been over 8 months since my initial medical where the doctor got a medical report off MY doctor about my asthma to send off to portsmouth(october).Ok then shouldnt be to long.....january comes round and i'm still waiting,apparently theirs been big changes at the medical place in portsmouth and theirs a big backlog of paperwork.I wait another 2 months and phone the doctor,i now need to do a peek flow test for a month and he can send this off and it should speed up the process, dont ask me how but it does?.Anyway nearly 3 months on since he sent it and i'm still waiting ,i phoned the careers office up and they phoned portsmouth and i'm still waiting in a queue and to be quite honest getting ready to quit before i've even got there :-(
  2. That's the spirit :crying:
    Unfortunately you have/or have had a Medical Condition which the Navy in it's wisdom thinks could affect your training, ie you may not be able to carry out all the physical parts of the course, so you would be Medically Discharged, ie out on 'yer arris' for ever. Result you even more depressed/pished off and the Navy money,resources and time that could have been spent on another candidate wasted.
    Wouldn't it be better for all concerned if those who know what they're on about, ie Navy Doctors, get the chance to properly assess you?
    This will take time, and get used to delays if you want to join the Forces, it's called 'Hurry up and wait'. Yes it's frustrating, but better that than a rushed job that will cause problems later.
    Hopefully once all tests etc are complete and the Navy are confident you can pass your Training, if you apply yourself, you'll get to proceed with the joining process.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There's currently a large backlog of people waiting for asthma medical referrals. Unfortunately it's just a case of biding your time.

When all's said & done all applicants should categorically be 4 years clear of the symptoms & treatment for asthma. Only borderline cases determined by a Medical Examiner are sent for referral. If you are borderline due to being prescribed an inhaler in the last 4 years, then arguably the longer you wait, as galling though it must be, the stronger your chances of proving you do not need an inhaler.

Good luck to you, hope it turns out as you would wish.
  4. thanks ninja-stoker,this is the thing thats most annoyed me,i know i havnt had it since primary school which is well over 12 years ago!I told the doctor this on my medical but he still wanted a written report from my doctor,even though when he got it he said it looked fine he still sent it off.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If a history of asthma is declared, even in the "dim & distant", the medical examiner has no option other than to send an Asthma Questionnaire to your GP to verify your last prescription.

There would not usually be any further action required unless when attending your medical, you had a chest wheeze when it was checked or had a low peak-flow reading or both.

Good luck.