Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by SpliceTheMainbrace, Mar 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi shipmates

I am potentially due to be mobilisied in the middle of this year ie the end of May for 8-9 months. Does anyone know how much leave do you get? I know this sounds bad but I would hate to spend that long away from seeing my family and the people I care about.

Unfortunately they are scrapping the 6 month mobilisations for one reason or another.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Normal 6 month tour was 2 weeks R&R, plus Post tour leave. If you are deployed for longer than 6 months, then you should get an additional period of RNR (usually 1 week - 2 weeks extra). You do get time off, and its worth taking as you will otherwise be exhausted by the end of the tour.
  3. Do not rely on getting your leave during your op deployment.
    An oppo of mine (RNR) did not get the chance to take leave during the time he was in theatre and had no choice but to take it on return to the UK.

Suck it in and make the most of it; try to enjoy this period of your life in the knowledge that none of your other mates will ever get a chance to experience the same.

"All leave is a privilege", whether you like it or not, or subscribe to the Guardian or not.
  4. So basically it is 2 weeks over the whole thing. Will have to make the most of that! I am to be mobilised doing Ships Protection.
  5. Enjoy yourself at FPGRM mate :)
  6. During mobilisation your leave allowance is the same as for regulars. It is 30 days per year plus Bank Holidays. So, if your mobilisation is 8 months then you will get 20 days leave (excluding weekends) plus any Bank Holidays that fall during your mobilisation period. Depending on what you are doing and where you are, you should be allowed leave during your unit's main leave periods i.e. Summer Leave and Christmas Leave. Also, if you are in the UK and not required for duties, your weekends are your own. I don't know what the routine is for FPGRM but you could ask the RSM.
  7. Splice the Mainbrace
    Ref you final point about "scrapping the 6 month deployment"
    Are you a memebr of the Sea(Res) branch? and if you are, do you receive ETMs?
    I explained the reasons why in ETM02/09.
    Good luck with you mobilisation

Yours Aye
  8. Less than 210 days = 1 x 14 days R&R; 211 days or more = 2 x 14 days R&R.

Must be applied for via chain of command and is subject to operational requirements.
  9. Did any of this answer your question SpliceTheMainBrace.?

ETMs are great (if you get them - and you should via SO2 - if you ain't getting them or they don't make sense - put your hand up), but don't fret about asking questions here - I too wonder about what leave I can get if I ever get deployed (especially as my "holidays" are usually planned at least one year in advance...)

Now to extend deployment or not - that is the question...

10. It answers my question, I suppose as long as you are kept busy then time will go fast. As the adage goes, time flies when you are having fun!
    Just hope I pass all my courses this time and not be RTU'd like last year, you do not know how disppointing that is!
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So what the effing double-you are you doing in the Armed Forces (Reserve or otherwise?!) :evil: :roll:
  12. When I joined the RNR the idea of Mobilisation wasn't even thought of. Yes people went away to sea if they WANTED to now in the last few years you HAVE to go. The goal posts have been completey changed. When I joined there was a prospect of going away for 2 weeks at sea if you were so inclined. Don't jump to conclusions.
  13. I think it's a fair point, the rules changed about 12 years ago. There's been plenty of time to reflect on that.
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

STMB: Hmm, but when I joined up 22 years ago, there were lots of things that I never thought I'd be expected to do now, but I have to do them. It's the rules. Life in a blue one.

Deal with it, or move aside so someone else can... :roll:
  15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

IIRC, hasn't re-engament since 1996 been under the terms of RFA96? Back in the 1980s when I joined the expectation was 2 weeks on an MSF during a major war between NATO and the WARSAW PACT - since then the goal-posts have moved and the utilisation of the RNR is totally different. However, you have been required to sign a document that states that you agree to these new conditions every so often (at about 5 yearly intervals when the UPO remember!) whenever you re-engage.

edited to correct date amnesia - it was 96!
  16. Correct. There are also lectures (at least annually) on your obligations under RFA96, so you cannot claim it's a surprise. "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen."
  17. Purple_twiglet

I have some sympathy that people may be worried about missing family and friends - its natural if you've not deployed before, and don't know what to expect. That said, if you hadn't twigged by now that being mobilised meant being away, then perhaps life in the modern RNR isn't for you!
  18. The time for considering that (missing family and friends) is before the brown envelope drops through your door.
  19. For new joiners like me, the dit doing the rounds is that it's not "will I get deployed?" but "when and where will I be deployed?". Once you're on trained strength, expect the call, is the message we're getting. (And to be fair, it's shouted at you before you sign anything)

I'm not joyfully enthused about the idea of leaving home for the better part of a year, have already done a (shorter than Services) MND(SE) tour, and wouldn't mind at all if Afghanistan has stopped being a UK problem by the time I'm on trained strength. But if it hasn't gone away... I can't say I wasn't warned or that nobody told me.

And I have to admit, while I missed home and family horribly while I was in Basrah, it was a good tour, working with some top folk, and I don't regret it for an instant. Might even be part of why I ended up going Reserve. Motivation's a complicated beast some days :)

Which begs a different question. If you were awarded the TELIC medal as a civilian and then join the RNR, do you wear the ribbon (on relevant uniform, when appropriate) or not? The answer may be in BR81, but that's an elusive document on the Interweb and even DII. I'm keenly aware that this is hardly the definitive forum to cite, but hopefully someone here can point to the relevant rule.
  20. Purple_twiglet

Ref TELIC - answer is yes you do - I'm in the same position as you. Its a gong awarded and you are entitled to it (I cross-checked with Unit and Arrse prior to doing so) and it may be worth letting the unit know the score.

The fun part is when you do a TELIC as a forces person - could you wear two TELIC gongs simaltaneously?