8,500 ex servicemen in jail

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by scouse, Aug 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read a very upsetting article that 1in11 of the inmates in prison are ex servicemen :shakefist:
  2. I read one recently about the percentages of ex-Service persons that are homeless as well. I cant remember the number, but it equally shocked me as this figure does. This is a SHOCKING figure, but like all statistics, I wonder how these figures are made up and compiled. Is it a matter of just asking an inmate, "were you in the Armed Forces?", when they answer "yes" theres your statistics or is there actually checks?
  3. Yes It comes from the probation union . NAPO
  4. Do we know what the percentage of ex servicemen is in the adult population?
    Problem with statistics is you need to know more than one figure.
  5. Dont know Slim! but The prison population is 93,000
  6. So whats the difference between that and being 300 feet down under?
  7. :la: :dontknow:
  8. I initially thought the same slim, but on reflection I would be very surprised if it were anywhere near 1 in 11.
  9. I think you need to look at the reasons WHY they are incarcerated.Did they commit a crime that got them booted out of the Forces,or had they already left before getting sent down?I makes a big difference to the picture.
  10. It would be nice to know the percentage of the 8500 who were dismissed the service or left under a cloud. As service and ex service we do have a rose tinted view of all our colleagues and ex colleagues. When we examine our memories we will recall a number of colleagues/shipmates who were never really trustworthy
    I know that many of those in prison will have slipped through the net and should possibly have been helped more by ex service associations. For many leaving the services is like being divorced from their whole family and then wrenched from an ordered lifestyle and ejected into chaos.
    Perhaps if the British forces treated ex members in the same way as the Americans do this transition would be achieved more easily.
  11. I'm never convinced by the numbers given.

Like Blood says - are the people compiling the report able to verify if they did indeed serve?

Through life I've met an awful lot people with very dubious 'armed forces' stories that are just bullshit. An awful lot either failed basic training or were in the TA in the 1980's with no active service - with many claiming PTSD (especially for drink / drug / violence problems).

Have to be careful though - I read one guys medical notes that said he had PTSD from seving in the SAS for years. I was chatting to him for ages and from the start he was denying ever having served in the forces. But he had worked for years in the Scottish Ambulance Service (as in SAS) - took me ages to figure out!
  12. Statisics again

I can't help wondering how many of these prisoners had a criminal record BEFORE they joined up.
  15. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

There needs to be a proper analysis of this, which service, what trade, how long served, when left, what experiences, marriage/divorce, IQ/education level (not the same thing)/literacy, resettlement problems/employability, what offences (violence or dishonesty or both), how long after release to 1st offence etc etc. Would cost money but worth spending if it reduced the problem in the future. The bald, gross figure doesn't really give anyone a handle to go forward.
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh and just in case anyone thinks this is just lumpen squaddies, one who went bounce, bounce off to jail for perverting the course of justice, is (oops, was!) a solicitor who used to be a 2 1/2 Supply Officer and who served in the R Yacht.
  17. (deleted for editing)
  18. It's funny you should say that. I know of two who did; joined up a couple of years ago and are still serving.
    When I asked how they got away with it; they both said that they just did'nt admit their pasts when applying.
    (no joke)

"Security checks my arse!"
  19. Statistics are always suspect and dependent on the actual "question". It's a useful one to remember, though, the next time someone gobs off on the solution to Crime being National Service!
  20. Can I give you this story to think on.
    Last year I came a cross a lad who had just come out of Jail for drugs related crime.
    I asked if it would be ok to ask him questions about drugs/jail, the first question I asked was when did he start taking drugs, the reply was in the Army, The reason being he had seen friends killied in N.I. Instead of getting to the bottom of the drugs taking he was SNLR'd, as we talked I realised the guy was suffering from PTSD.
    This year he has been to combat stress twice & has been assesed as having a severe form.