65 years since VE Day

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by tommo, May 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just want to thank my Grampy Scott and Grampy Thomas and there oppos for their efforts 65 years ago. We shall remember them. I will be raising a glass tonight.
  2. Ditto Tommo.

I always search out the war graves if I am ever passing through a village pay my respects.

We actually took a look at the Irish National War Memorial Gardens last week dedicated to those who gave their lives in WW1 a really nice setting across the river from Phoenix Park.

I have often thought on looking up my great uncles war record he died from wounds recieved in WW1 now where would I start any ideas anyone?
  3. There a re a few people on here who have some experience in researching BP, I'm sure someone will be able to help. I think NG might be to point you in the right direction.

If you're ever in London the military records will defo help at Kew I believe
  4. BBC2 live @ The Cenotaph now
  5. What were his name, service and service number? These are useful places to start:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
    National Archives
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Backpacker, start with the WW1 Medal Record cards which are online as wellas the CWGC website. Then you can try his regimental association if he was a soldier.
  7. Backpacker. I downloaded my Grandfathers WW1 medal record from the National Archives, it was quite easy once I'd put in what info I had which was just his surname. It shows everyones record with that surname. Obviously the more info to narrow the search, the easier it is.

Edited to add if you don't know his service number, it's on the card once you've found it, along with his rank and regiment. Makes further research a hell of a lot easier.
  8. Backpacker,

I've PM'd you! I have access to the WWI Army Service/Pension records and Medal Index Cards.

9. I've always wondered if any of my great/ great great grandads ever fought in the wars, never got the chance to ask about my mums side as they died before I was born. Never knew where to start looking either.

I too will be remembering those who lost their lives fighting for the freedom we have today.
  10. If you PM me a few details, I will search through the records for you.

11. PM sent, thank you so much :D
  12. Jersey and Guernsey celebrate the end of the war as the German garrisons surrendered. Re-enactments of the 9th May 1945 take place on both islands.

Now what gets me as an imported Englishman, is that the fighting was over when the British troops turned up to accept the German surrender.
    Even though the day is marketed as "Liberation Day", it is not as if the forces had to fight the Germans. At this point, the Germans were half starved and prone to stealing and killing pet dogs and making the odd jaunt down to St Malo to steel food and bring it back. The food parcels sent via the Red Cross from Canada were for the locals only.
    And don't get me started on the local collaboration .....Some locals did rather well out of the war..
  13. Remember it well. :!: Whole family went "up west" and joined in the fun.
    Being a typical nine year old I got separated from the rest of them and spent some time in Trafalgar Square with lots of strangers, dancing. It was heaving. Finished up travelling back from the Embankment to Brixton clinging to the back of a number 33 tram, one foot on the bumper and one on the boarding step. 8O 'Elf'n'safety wasn't a big thing in those days. :D I got home well after dark and didn't even get a bollocking.
    Happy days (for some of us).
    Our front window was decorated with photos and "Welcome Home" banners for all my Aunts and Uncles who had been in uniform. Many houses had photos draped in black ribbon.

Lest we forget.

14. Cracking dit 2BM, I get plenty of disapproving looks when I let my 8 year old push a few boundaries, things must have been very different for kids in those days.

As for those that made the ultimate sacrifice and didn't get to celebrate, we will remember them.
  15. As is tradition a few people came in today with something they were wearing back 65 years ago when the news broke. Mostly school caps which although no longer fitted, it was awesome to see them and to hear about their stories!

Never forgotten.