60 years of SAR

75495b903105474488af948160ac190c-576x0.jpg

I love this photo from the RN website. It's not just the ridiculous swing that's started (and probably caused the guy on the string to require a clean pair of boxers) but the way the bloke on the boat is holding up his hands, using the internationally recognised signal of WTF.

View attachment 4587

I love this photo from the RN website. It's not just the ridiculous swing that's started (and probably caused the guy on the string to require a clean pair of boxers) but the way the bloke on the boat is holding up his hands, using the internationally recognised signal of WTF.
Or he's shouting "I'll catch you - Honest" :biggrin:

Sometimes one had to 'swing' the wire to get the winchman on deck but methinks this is not such an occasion as the water is what we call in WAFU terms - FLAT!!!!!!!

While recognising the subtle distinction, the RN's been saving souls from the sea by air for a bit more than 60 years:

$(KGrHqNHJE!FEN1l02ggBRFm5mus5g~~60_58.JPG

OK, the one in the picture is of the light blue persuasion but similar dark blue ones probably pre date them. There was life (saving) before the mechanical palm tree.

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #FFFAE6"]Throughout 2013 the Maritime Sea King Force are celebrating the 60th anniversary of RN rotary wing SAR. A series of low profile events are being run throughout the year alongside a push to raise money for charities local to 771 NAS at CULDROSE and GANNET SAR Flight at Prestwick. An all ranks/rates Mess Dinner is being held in the Wardroom at RNAS CULDROSE on Fri 31 May 13. All past and present members of the Armed Forces who have served in any of the RN SAR units are welcome to attend. The details:

Date: Fri 31 May 2013
Time: 1900 for 1930
Rig: Mess Undress/Black Tie
Cost: £40 per head (any profits to RN SAR 60K Fund)

To apply for tickets please email [email protected][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey Miscellaneous 0
KIMH Blue Jokes 0
soleil The Fleet Air Arm 5