60% sea time?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Klanga, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

my girlfriend was doing a little bit of her own research into the Navy and what it means for her/us and came across the Live Chat with Cdr Ryan Ramsey CO of HMS Turbulent. All was well until she came across this particular Q&A:

I have to be honest I was a little surprised at the answer. So my question is:

Is it the boat itself that spends 60% of it's life at sea and it has a rotational crew (similar to that of the Bombers) or is it just the one crew that spends 7.2 months of the year at sea?

A speedy response would be much appreciated as I need as much info as possible to arm myself for the inevitable onslaught!

Cheers!

2. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

depends on which branch you're in. Shortages in some departments mean that the 5th watch rotations aren't achieved and so you will find yourself at sea for that much of the year (not all in one go, of course!). Some departments are a bit more flush and you may find yourself not going to sea when the boat deploys, and may rejoin at a later stop, having taken some leave/attended a course/AT/etc...

3. In addition, you won't be on a boat for 22 years! You are part of the crew of a boat for a set period of time - for ratings it's around 48 months. There will then be an indeterminate time spent in a shore job before becoming part of a sea going crew again. Having said that, as an officer, the early part of a career will definetly have more time attached to sea going units than the later parts...so on the whole the officer corps undertake less sea time than ratings.

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I would'nt be fixated by those figures, but I'm not saying they are wrong. Every submarine has a boat life maintenance and upkeep package. These maintenance periods might range from a simple few weeks to several months or maybe years for a refit. During these periods the SM will be alongside in the UK, but you'll find that you'll still be onboard keeping duties.

Generally speaking of a timeline, a boat undertakes a Ramp (revalidation assisted maintenance period), which lasts for 4-9 months, on completion a further couple of months seatime training & working up the crew. Alongside for a short maintenance before deploying on operations far afield for 6+ months or around the UK. Back to the UK for leave and more maintenance, this could be a period of weeks or months. Back to sea for operations etc. Around 2/3 years from completing the Ramp a new Ramp will begin and so the cycle continues until the boat enters a refit.

This is very general information because every boat has its own programme which is secret, but all boats have to follow a maintenance schedule. Hope this gives you a better understanding to making your choice.

5. Trust me, once you start getting a decent level of sea pay, 60% isn't enough!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Don't they all?

7. The whole point of Warfare Officers is that they go to sea !! they're no f*cking use for anything else :lol:

8. Mate, as a pretend Warfare Officer, I am in breach of my 660/3 (as are many others before the world's smallest violin makes an appearance!). That means in the last 3 years I have spent more than 660 days away from my base port, either at sea or alongside. This 3 year period is a rolling one, and is one of the un-breakable rules of RN Personnel Management....unless you are an Officer in the first 10 years of your career or a Badged SF member.

If this sounds like a lot of time away from home, it is. If you don't think you can hack it, feel free to withdraw your application now, instead of wasting every-one's time halfway through SFT(X); it can really piss people off....

And as an aside, a friend of mine has just deployed on a SM at 2 hours notice for a 7 month trip, with no chance to say good-bye to his wife or 8 month old kid. It's life in a Blue One, and don't join if you can't take a joke.......

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

langa,
    You haven't said if you're joining as submarine or GS, but most frigates will be out of base port probably a little more than 60% of a year. I don't know about other platforms well enough to comment.

10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You make it sound like your mate has just joined the Bounty!!!!

Can we follow his adventures on twitter?

11. well, he's either East of Suez or North of Guzz, so I don't think he's got much mobile reception at the mo.....

12. Cheers for the posts guys, it's a great help!

I'm hoping to join as a Warfare Officer(submariner). Personally, the sea time doesn't bother me, it's part of the job and that's why I want to join (to go to sea!)

It's just that the possibility of being at sea for 60% of the time is something that the recruiting officers seemed to have failed to mention......... which is a worry if there are others that join, didn't realise, can't hack it and leave during training. Seems a waste of everyone's time really.

I guess they are not going to mention the ins-and-outs of every submarine's possible whereabouts and length of time at sea. But whenever you ask you get the same political answer: " a submarine can only store enough for up to 90 days". No mention of how many lots of 90 days within the year or the possibility of a Replenshiment At Sea!!

13. Just a thought - if spending 60% of your time at sea, per year, really is something you are questioning, why join the RN?

The RN is all about the sea, hence the 'Navy' part.

Submariners are paid rather well, compared to others, there's a lovely golden handshake (if it still stands) and that's just the start of it!

14. Maybe they presumed anyone that was enquiringabout joining the NAVY would realise that they ould spend rather alot of time at sea. Dam those careers officers presuming people have comman sense!

15. Members of the Armed Forces are making significant sacrifices to safeguard the spirit and person of the realm?

I am shocked.

Shocked.

16. Why are you surprised that the Navy spend 60% of their time at sea? Isn't that what the Navy is all about being at sea? If you want to spend time at home:

1. Become a crab
    2. Stay a civie
    3. Join as a WAFU

17. Sea time..........whats that then?

18. sea? whats that then?

19. no bites, bugger

20. Sixty percent? SIXTY PERCENT? Is that fcuking all? Where the sh1t have I been going wrong, sign me up for some of that cheers easy sh1t right now.

Malingering cnuts.