56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator.

DMC1

Hello All, former Bootneck here of 7 years, and 20 years offshore oil and gas. I’m becoming sick of the uncertainty of the O&G industry at the moment, and I had no absolutely no idea that the RFA recruited people over 40, until very recently - I’m 44. I’m giving it a crack now. I really need some career stability, and to freshen things up a little. I’ve been doing my research on the usual subjects asked on here, and submitted application (Seaman apprentice) the other day. I’ve been out of the UK since 2002, however, this is no biggy for me to return. I’ve been digging out all my old service records, Seamans book, SSO stuff from my brief foray into Marsec. Anyway good to know this forum is here.

To the OP, best of luck and let me know how you’re getting on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deuchers

Midshipman
Information please re pay increments.

Can any one let me know if there is any add ons on top of basic pay?

And is apprentice pay incremental at any time before.... hopefully becoming fully qualified after courses and satisfactory reports?

TIA

Deuchers

Midshipman
Update.

Interview completed and a provisional offer has been made.

Now the admin starts.

Comms Apprentice course 6th Jan 2020.

Standby

Random

Lantern Swinger
Can any one let me know if there is any add ons on top of basic pay?
There are, but these days they are few and far between. Basically when the current banding pay model was constructed/imposed a lot of the add ons were rolled up into base pay.

And is apprentice pay incremental at any time before.... hopefully becoming fully qualified after courses and satisfactory reports?
I have posted this a few times before! but please follow this link to find the most recent pay scales in the public domain.

Right at the bottom you will find the trainee pay scales, they will not have changed a huge amount since the publishing date, apprentices get two bands, cadets get four bands. Advancement up the bands for trainees I believe is yearly (please someone correct me), if the training is being passed satisfactorily.

This is not a case of officers get more for longer, its just the fact that your apprenticeship (and so movement onto full pay) is a lot quicker than a cadetship.

DMC1

Update.

Interview completed and a provisional offer has been made.

Now the admin starts.

Comms Apprentice course 6th Jan 2020.

Standby
Fantastic news mate. I got a high score on my RT (so I was told). I have submitted my additional application forms, and now awaiting the sift results. If successful, then interview will be mid-Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk