56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator.

Deuchers

Midshipman
56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. Positive comments .... Please

Deuchers

Midshipman
That is the question, not sure if my back ground is suitable for any particular role, or just go for a role that is short on applicants?

Seadog

War Hero
I’m told that the roles that are short of applicants are for Deck and Engineer Officers with senior certificates of competency.

If the number of thrusters looking for ‘top tips’ for the Sift Interview is anything to go by, there is no shortage of applicants for Rating positions although I can’t remember seeing ‘Laundryman’ being enquired about.

You’re never to too old to be a Cadet, Deck or Engineering. If qualified for admission, accepted and hack the college/sea cycle and exams, by the time you’re 60 you’ll be a junior officer.

Random

Lantern Swinger
That is the question, not sure if my back ground is suitable for any particular role, or just go for a role that is short on applicants?
Our training pipelines assume zero knowledge on arrival (for all branches crew or officer), our nominal retirement date is when you hit 68 (default for all government jobs).

So its really your preference and meeting (or exceeding) the minimum standards described on the careers bit of the website, you will have plenty of time to get trained and to spend some time doing it.

Hubert Holroyd

Midshipman
56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. Positive comments .... Please
Hi Deuchers
I'm same age as you. Start training as chef apprentice this year. But I did originally apply in 2016 when I was 54. It may take a while so my advice is to get application in asap for whatever you hope to do. You will have plenty of time to change your mind/ consider your options

Deuchers

Midshipman
HH,

All noted, and in the process of doing so now. Nipped into AFCO in Glasgow and spoke to the master at arms there.... once he was able to pick his jaw up lol, he gave me some positive information.

Depends what branch / specilisation you are looking to join.

What interests you? for example we are needing chefs. but if you don't want to be chef no point aplying as a chef as it is job you really want to have to do rather than just turning up.

You would either have to come in as an apprenitce or a cadet, depending on what formal educational qualifactions you have.

Deuchers

Midshipman
RFA,at HMS Raleigh

I have been accepted for Comms apprentice, passed the RT, and all paper work thus far has been submitted.

TIA