50% of British servicemen want to quit

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by bl_ue, Jul 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 95% UK population wish to emigrate!!

2. Homer Simpson once said

“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.â€

Asking round my office, everyone at some point thinks about leaving, but how many actually go through with it.

3. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Quite a few, by the look of it. Scanning through the CAS, it's quite obvious that it does reflect the high wave of 'goodwill factor' that this shower of shit government currently rides high on - namely that we are fiercely proud to serve our country, but are low on morale, pissed off with crap kit and stay despite the misery and ineptitude of ministers and civil servants alike. Of course, paraphrasing the old chestnut of evil surviving because good men do nothing is a hackneyed expression, but one can't help wonder what the Labour government has to do to break the back of Jack and the whole system to collapse?

Levers

4. The problm with these surveys is the answers depend a lot on the precise question asked and the context in whch it was asked, so perhaps the headline statement is rather meaningless. I don't think that 50% are simply going to hand in their notice tommorrow, though there is good evidence that the rate of people leaving the services is higher than normal at present.

I can remeber in my time that nearly every sailor expressed a desire to leave at some time but almost every one didn't in the end

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

73% of statistics are made up. Fact... 8O

6. And I thought it was 78%, you always amaze me with your facts SPB.

7. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

8. The survey does say 'thinking of leaving', and the number in the survey (24,000), is a better indication than the mori type poll of 100 people on a telephone, plus the fact that this was conducted by the MoD and not some opposition party.

Because of that I would think these are very realistic figures and though the majority of them will not quit but will continue to 'think' about it, it does show the level of discontent there is.

9. When Jack stops dripping and threatening to put his notice in, then its time to worry!

10. I have completed such a survey for my employers for several years now (they do take notice and some things change) The questions are always quite cleverly set, and one has to think what they are really trying to find out and not pick the obvious answer if you wish to have the right influence.

11. I get the impression that all the information mounts up to indicate a reasonably demotivated organisation. with respect to this data in isolation it's a bit too broad brush to do much with. That percentage is taken from a population which ranges from 17 year old kids with no responsibilities up to individuals in their late 40s with kids, mortgages and potentially a couple of failed marriages behind them. Actually slapping in means very different things to different segments of that total population.

The 12 month notice period also leaves lots of people thinking about it but many unwilling to actually make the move, and take the risk of finding something else, although there are a few safe places for some to revert into.

It doesn't make pleasant reading, but I'd be surprised if much comes out of it, other than bland platitudes.

12. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I had the displeasure of lunch with a Commodore who shall remain nameless about a month before I left (not my choice, my boss thought it a good idea), he raised the question as to my leaving and obviously didn't like (or more likely couldn't comprehend) the answers. I asked him why he thought 7.9% of his fellow officers were leaving, his answer was that their calculations expected an outflow rate of about 6.5% so it wasn't too bad, I laughed and walked away. The rate is now 8.1% it has risen from 6.7% last June. For other ranks it's nearer 11%! Not sure bland anything describes the attitude, more of "if we ignore it, it will go away" syndrome.

13. The reason he was a Commodore is because he did not have the ability to make Admiral. :w00t:
    With thinking like his it looks like he should have stayed as a Captain as he had already being promoted to his level of incompetence. :thumright:

14. You're out of date again Slim, Cdre has been a substantive rank for several years.

15. Well bugger me backwards..............another fine tradition confined to the bin :w00t:

16. Is that a lesbian thing Slim

17. I'm trying to work that one out,isnt it a physical impossability? ^_^;

18. If 50 percent of servicemen want to go then let them, the govt will soon sit up and take stock of what is left, and pull out of Iraq/Afghan so as the rest of us can look after the fire brigade (when they go on strike)/binmen/policemen and any other public sector wimp who wants to go on strike because they dont get enough money!

19. It's interesting that this phrase was coined by Disraeli, a polly. :roll:

Slim, backward buggery? You been pushing back then? o_O