Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

5 Years Residency Requirement? British National that lived abroad

themuddyduck

Midshipman
Hi there! New to the forum, but I think it is the best place to find answers I can't find on good ol' google.

I'm in the process of joining the Royal Navy and have completed the PT, and the Triage medical phone call. Just waiting on my GP to push my med docs.

Here is my question:

I am a British citizen, by birth and descent and hold only a British passport but was born abroad and lived there for about 19 years. I now live in the uk, I moved here a year ago.
The first time I made an online application with the RN I disclosed this information and the rang me and told me that I cannot apply if I haven't lived in the UK within the past 5 years? I'm sure they made a mistake as I am not a commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other country but the UK for that matter.

Would someone please tell me whats gone on?

Ta!

The rules may have changed but has the same happened to me many moons ago. There was a system whereby you could apply for a waiver. I did so, and the period was reduced to 1 year. The reason there is a 5 year wait (I was led to believe) is so you were conversant with life in the UK. However this reason doesn't stack anymore with other Commonwealth people being recruited. Worth a check with your local AFCO, maybe Ninja Stoker is our man here?

Hi there! New to the forum, but I think it is the best place to find answers I can't find on good ol' google.

I'm in the process of joining the Royal Navy and have completed the PT, and the Triage medical phone call. Just waiting on my GP to push my med docs.

Here is my question:

I am a British citizen, by birth and descent and hold only a British passport but was born abroad and lived there for about 19 years. I now live in the uk, I moved here a year ago.
The first time I made an online application with the RN I disclosed this information and the rang me and told me that I cannot apply if I haven't lived in the UK within the past 5 years? I'm sure they made a mistake as I am not a commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other country but the UK for that matter.

Would someone please tell me whats gone on?

Ta!
Technically eligible applicants need 5 years UK residency, however British passport holders who do not hold any other passport are usually eligible for a residency waiver depending what they were doing, where they were living and can prove they have a clean charge sheet from the police where they have been living. They also need to produce an unbroken list of addresses in all places they have lived for more than 30 days for the preceding 5 years.

Those British passport holders who also hold a passport from another country also need to produce evidence that they are not already serving in the military or liable for recall if they have previous military service nor liable to serve in the Armed Forces of the country.

Latest Threads