5 year residency rule scrapped.

Yes, all well and good, but have you seen some of the crap being spouted on 'social medja' from people who have obviously not even read the paper. Not helped by the Wail headline about the UK Armed Forces allowing in foreigners!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, it essentially means the RN/RM may now recruit up to 300 Commonwealth Citizens this year. To get 300 recruits, my guess is we will need to process between 1,200 to 2,400 applicants, on average. Unless we send recruiting teams overseas to conduct preliminary elements of selection, there's going to be a lot of hacked-off applicants who pay their air fare to UK and fail selection upon arrival in UK.

Interesting to see the MoD announce their intention before the respective recruiting infrastructure is in place to process the probable surge in applications. "Left hand, let me introduce you to right hand", etc., etc. ;)

Sumo

War Hero
Yep, it essentially means the RN/RM may now recruit up to 300 Commonwealth Citizens this year. To get 300 recruits, my guess is we will need to process between 1,200 to 2,400 applicants, on average. Unless we send recruiting teams overseas to conduct preliminary elements of selection, there's going to be a lot of hacked-off applicants who pay their air fare to UK and fail selection upon arrival in UK.

Interesting to see the MoD announce their intention before the recruiting infrastructure is in place to process the probable surge in applications. "Left hand, let me introduce you to right hand", etc., etc. ;)
the good ideas gang always take the limelight without considering those who will have to make it work

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
the good ideas gang always take the limelight without considering those who will have to make it work
Possibly the announcement had to be made as it was a poorly guarded secret and virtually every Naval baseport taxi driver probably knew it was in the pipeline.

Either way, the bottom line is we don't have the resources to process them as quickly as we would like. The recruiting field force is 17% undermanned due to the simple fact the deal for recruiters isn't particularly attractive at present for service leavers and the software system isn't currently able to process overseas applications online.

Other than that, I'd sincerely hope this change in policy helps ease the overstretch burden on frontline unit manpower over the coming months which has to be a good thing.

Sumo

War Hero
Possibly the announcement had to be made as it was a poorly guarded secret and virtually every Naval baseport taxi driver probably knew it was in the pipeline.

Either way, the bottom line is we don't have the resources to process them as quickly as we would like. The recruiting field force is 17% undermanned due to the simple fact the deal for recruiters isn't particularly attractive at present for service leavers and the software system isn't currently able to process overseas applications online.

Other than that, I'd sincerely hope this change in policy helps ease the overstretch burden on frontline unit manpower over the coming months which has to be a good thing.
recruit some overseas recruiter s job done?;)

Last edited: