46yo male

Discussion in 'RFA' started by rocketmanbkk, Oct 13, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello

As title says I'm 46yo male

I gave a few o levels

Realistically what's my chances of joining?

I'm not looking at officer but want to learn a skill & serve decent time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Come again seadog?

You've lost me mate!

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

' ...good sense of humour, would like to meet...'

Seen on dating sites, er, I'm told.

As for your query, there are pages about old folks' experiences, questions and answers about recruitment and serving already posted on the RFA forum.
  5. Old folks!!! Blooming cheek

Just trying to explore options, can't find anything of the forum

6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You've as good a chance as anyone applying. There are a few older chaps on here who recently joined as apprentices. The hardest things for the older applicant are the low wage and perhaps living and training with younger people.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Yes, I agree

Money isn't my main factor but family is.

8. You have nothing to lose by just applying it does state on web page 16-99 so go for it and good luck
  9. Thx. I'm seriously considering it.

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  10. You certainly wouldn't be the oldest mate. There are a few lads in their 50s and one in his 60s the group before me. Worth a shot.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
  11. Ok, thx fir that

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hi Rocketmanbkk,

Just so you know, I'm in my phase 1 training as a Comms Rating apprentice and I'm 52 and will be 53 next month,so don't worry about the age thing. If you want to join then get the application in and give it your best shot.

Oh and don't worry about Seadog, you'll get used to him...........eventually
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Thx. How was the recruitment process?

14. Well I'd been waiting for nearly a year to apply. But then applied in Jan, got through sift, interview in Apr, got provisional offer, completed security, jabs and medical and started my course on 31 August.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Blimey I would say brave, the thought of putting my body through sea time and runs ashore again would be a task and a half, I guess the youngsters like the old ones as they can always take the granny on trapping runs?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Fear not Sumo,

Hopefully I'll let the young 'uns take the lead on the runs ashore and be quietly sipping my drink in the background. Also don't forget we have single cabins in the RFA and 4 months at sea, 3 months at home. In any case I'm enjoying the time away from my nearest and dearest, makes life a bit less traumatic.
  17. As always Jenny you are on the money. I went into Fareham a couple of weeks ago with one of the lads off my course and was asked if he was my son o_O
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Can fully understand that, I finally took a job at home in 2011, after leaving the mob in 1998, my stress levels since then have increased; I have taken up mindfulness meditation, which helps.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. I'm not much younger than you and although healthy just concerned about a medical at my age, How stringent was the medical was it bog standard to make sure you can breathe and walk or much more in depth?
  20. I did alot of research on the internet about peoples experiences with the ENG before I had mine. Some doctors are more stringent than others. Mine was very thorough. I'm 47, about a stone overweight and I passed.

• Like Like x 2