45 in Cyprus, 1956-1958 ish

Discussion in 'History' started by Ians_lad, Nov 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good history of 45 Cdo in Cyprus, aroung 56-58 ? I can't find anything other than general stuff, and I don't particularly want to go trawling through signals logs and other primary sources if it's already been done by someone who can actually write.

I've got some of my dad's dodgy photos from that time (including one of an LMG gunner with a leather EOKA wristband, taken by flash photography while on patrol. I'd have shot the sod myself if I'd been there), but only ever got hints of what he'd done out there.

(Reposted from the Corps at suggestion of the Mods)
  2. Have a look at this site http://www.britains-smallwars.com/cyprus/David/page1.html ...it may have the information you are looking for. I was out there with the RN in 1956/7 at MHQ Nicosia ...living under canvas with pongos in Kykko camp, PB4 operating out of Famagusta on loan and Episkopi when Suez flashed up.
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If anyone wants to know how HMG sleepwalked into the Cyprus mess, read 'Bitter lemons' by Lawrence Durell (Faber 1957 & later Faber ppbk editions).