43% of RAF trainee pilots will lose their jobs

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone finding themselves in this situation. Anyone working in the current financial climate doubtless has similar concerns, I know I have.

It's interesting that trainees are being made redundant as my understanding was that under emploment law you cannot continue to recruit in any trade you are making redundancies & that trainess could not be laid off. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if they are clever enough to be aircrew, doubtless they will be clever enough to sting the MOD to the extent it costs more to get rid than to keep.

When you consider the RN had by far the biggest percentage manpower reduction in relation to the Army & RAF, it's interesting to note the respective PR organisations are getting national headlines with the loss of Pilots & troops notified of redundancy via email in Afghanistan compared to the RN.

Last edited:
I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone finding themselves in this situation. Anyone working in the current financial climate doubtless has similar concerns, I know I have.

It's interesting that trainees are being made redundant as my understanding was that under emploment law you cannot continue to recruit in any trade you are making redundancies & that trainess could not be laid off. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if they are clever enough to be aircrew, doubtless they will be clever enough to sting the MOD to the extent it costs more to get rid than to keep.

When you consider the RN had by far the biggest percentage manpower reduction in relation to the Army & RAF, it's interesting to note the respective PR organisations are getting national headlines with the loss of Pilots & troops notified of redundancy via email in Afghanistan compared to the RN.
The fatal error here is that they have used the term sacked/laid off etc but I am sure there are enough brain cells around to dig themselves out of the pit - easiest option is just to raise the bar a bit and when the trainees fail to meet the desired standard they can be RTU'd/terminated from the programme - no expensive legal cases and provided some make it through it is just seen as a matter of maintaining performance standards

Interesting point about RN PR vs the rest but it is early days yet so don't go cocky too early, we have an almost uncanny ability to turn victory into defeat in a dog watch

Just read this, terrible shame..

Must be hell, especially after landing your dream job only to be told that you're being cut.
Nice choice of words.

It's a shame any one loses their job these days but it's the world we live in these days.

Hack 43% or have all these highly paid pilots sat around drawing phenomenal salaries just to stand in a queue for the next fighter jet to become available is ludicrous. I'm sure Joe Public would love to see their taxes paying for a resource we simply cannot afford nor employ.

Sad but sensible.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If we scrap aircraft, the savings come from scrapping pilots .. and other aircrew .. and maintainers .. and maybe an air ctation or two and the people we then don't need to run those .. simples.

I am however intigrued by the idea held by some RRs that RAF officers are scions of the landed gentry.

If we scrap aircraft, the savings come from scrapping pilots .. and other aircrew .. and maintainers .. and maybe an air ctation or two and the people we then don't need to run those .. simples.

I am however intigrued by the idea held by some RRs that RAF officers are scions of the landed gentry.
Biggles has a lot to answer for!