43% of RAF trainee pilots will lose their jobs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Merlin28, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - RAF to axe almost half of trainee pilots

I may have been cut from being recruited for AET but at least I still have my civilian job. I really feel for these guys as they are some way through their training and must of felt fairly safe and secure.

2. Just read this, terrible shame..

Must be hell, especially after landing your dream job only to be told that you're being cut.

3. Crab Ruperts on the dole? My heart bleeds purple custard for those twunts.

4. Seconded!!!

What are the odds on the older senior pilots now all threatening to bang in their notice unless they get a large £50K bonus. Now where have I heard that one before?

5. Third!!

Im sure that Mother and Father will help them out wont they.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone finding themselves in this situation. Anyone working in the current financial climate doubtless has similar concerns, I know I have.

It's interesting that trainees are being made redundant as my understanding was that under emploment law you cannot continue to recruit in any trade you are making redundancies & that trainess could not be laid off. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if they are clever enough to be aircrew, doubtless they will be clever enough to sting the MOD to the extent it costs more to get rid than to keep.

When you consider the RN had by far the biggest percentage manpower reduction in relation to the Army & RAF, it's interesting to note the respective PR organisations are getting national headlines with the loss of Pilots & troops notified of redundancy via email in Afghanistan compared to the RN.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. The fatal error here is that they have used the term sacked/laid off etc but I am sure there are enough brain cells around to dig themselves out of the pit - easiest option is just to raise the bar a bit and when the trainees fail to meet the desired standard they can be RTU'd/terminated from the programme - no expensive legal cases and provided some make it through it is just seen as a matter of maintaining performance standards

Interesting point about RN PR vs the rest but it is early days yet so don't go cocky too early, we have an almost uncanny ability to turn victory into defeat in a dog watch

8. It'll never happen.....Who's gonna get the mail???

9. Why were you cut from AET? Did not realise they were dropping people from the recruitment process altogether.

10. Age limit for AET was lowered to 30 and Merlin is 29 already. Old git :p (although I found a grey hair today :p )

11. Nice choice of words.

It's a shame any one loses their job these days but it's the world we live in these days.

Hack 43% or have all these highly paid pilots sat around drawing phenomenal salaries just to stand in a queue for the next fighter jet to become available is ludicrous. I'm sure Joe Public would love to see their taxes paying for a resource we simply cannot afford nor employ.

Sad but sensible.

12. There'll be a lot of silk scarves and black labrador's returned to stores.

13. Are they those black labradors called that word we're not allowed to use now ?... In my day you called a spade a spade !

14. That'll be the one(s)

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't remember him being called spade.

16. Ssshush Janner.............. we're not allowed to say nigger.......oops ! :oops:

17. Who cares about the defence of the realm as long as it brings down the deficit, heaven forbid that the banks should be forced to chip in.

18. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If we scrap aircraft, the savings come from scrapping pilots .. and other aircrew .. and maintainers .. and maybe an air ctation or two and the people we then don't need to run those .. simples.

I am however intigrued by the idea held by some RRs that RAF officers are scions of the landed gentry.

19. Biggles has a lot to answer for!

20. And that royal chappie Willie :p