40 yr old Compo claim pays off

Discussion in 'History' started by Como83, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A former sailor who developed an anxiety disorder after the HMAS Voyager maritime disaster more than 40 years ago has been awarded more than $1.2 million in damages by a Sydney court.
    He was on the starboard deck of the aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne when it collided with the destroyer HMAS Voyager in 1964, claiming 82 lives.

The man sued the Commonwealth, alleging he suffered a psychiatric injury from watching the collision.
    The Supreme Court heard he was told not to discuss the disaster but to get drunk and forget about it. He became withdrawn, developed a drinking problem and left the Navy four years later.

The judge accepted he had suffered an anxiety disorder and would have stayed in the Navy for at least 20 years to receive a pension if it was not for the collision. He was awarded more than $1.24 million covering losses of earnings and the pension.

I say 'Good luck to you mate.' Wonder if I could now claim for our disaster.
    (Plus the grog). Guess the Statute of Limitations applies.
    Como

2. Bloody hell, like the coppers that sued at Hillsboro, whatever next.

3. I have suffered withdrawl and anxiety symptoms since the tot was stopped. Where do I apply for compo?

4. Saw the official Board of Inquiry Report: very lucky so many survived. Don't begrudge him a single penny.