40% tax, bounty & Tax Return

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
boisailor said:
FlagWagger said:
RIng up the HMRC? Two good reasons why you shouldn't use this route:
1. 0845 number only which, while it may be charged at local rates, is not recognised as such from overseas, calling cards, or other discouinted rate programmes (I have a $10 calling card that woiuld give me 32 minutes on the phone to HMRC but over 3000 minutes to a geographical number!)./quote]

try www.saynoto0870.com and u can search for a local rate number which u can use in calling cards etc.

I'm aware of that site and will actually submit a geographical number for my tax office should I ever find one. What really p155es me off about HMRC is that common sense has flown completely out of the window - its obvious from my address that I'm no longer in the UK and I know I'm not the only one. Irrespective, they send out demands for completion of tax returns and state that they won't send out a paper copy unless it is requested and tax returns should be completed on-line - a good idea in saving paper, but foreign income can only be completed using the dead-tree version of the form! Once you finally manage to get access to the forms and associated notes, you are condemned to submit by mail, and the HMRC themselves state a) priority is given to on-line submissions - paper returns may wait 2-3 months before being assessed and b) late payment caused by delays in the assessment of paper tax-returns by HMRC is the tax-payer's problem since the preferred route is on-line submission! I have no objection with paying what is due, but being penalised for limitations within HMRC is beyond a joke! Off now to lie down in a quiet darkened room and allow my blood pressure to return to normal.

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
ctfairway said:
SO2Seaman said:
A question for those in the RNR who are 40% tax payers and file a Self Assessment Tax Return.
When the Tax Return asks for the figures from your P60 (both pay and tax paid) does the pay figure include the TAX FREE BOUNTY? and if it does, how do I go about claiming 40% back for the last 6 year's bounty - As I have just realised that I think the Self Assessment Tax Return has automatically taxed my bounty in its caluclations.

Thanks

SO2Seaman

Why dont you ring up HMRC and ask them. That way you will get an accurate answer and stop taking up space on this blog with inappropriate rubbish.

So what is an appropriate post in your rather impertinent opinion?

A

angrydoc

ctfairway said:
SO2Seaman said:
A question for those in the RNR who are 40% tax payers and file a Self Assessment Tax Return.
When the Tax Return asks for the figures from your P60 (both pay and tax paid) does the pay figure include the TAX FREE BOUNTY? and if it does, how do I go about claiming 40% back for the last 6 year's bounty - As I have just realised that I think the Self Assessment Tax Return has automatically taxed my bounty in its caluclations.

Thanks

SO2Seaman

Why dont you ring up HMRC and ask them. That way you will get an accurate answer and stop taking up space on this blog with inappropriate rubbish.

Possibly another regular annoyed by constantly being reminded of the benefits available to reservists yet not to regulars?

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
You mean a small annual payment that almost makes up for the fact that we don't get paid X factor and have no other perks or benefits or allowances?

Nice try for a bite doc, but you'll need to do better than that!

all_purple_now

Lantern Swinger
angrydoc said:
Possibly another regular annoyed by constantly being reminded of the benefits available to reservists yet not to regulars?

There aren't very many of them.

And, in any case, he asked the question on the RNR forum...

APN

War Hero
angrydoc said:
.....the benefits available to reservists yet not to regulars?

And they would be what exactly?

Although I do think the question should have been asked of HMRC or an accountant.

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
angrydoc said:

Well then, why don't we come over to the RN thread and discuss the sea duty pay.. the ability to actually get promoted.. Y'know, all the things that you regulars get.

Twat.

broadside

War Hero
Why does it always have to degenerate into an RN vs RNR pissing competition?

We don't have directly comparable benefits and allowances between the 2 "branches of the same Service" because we don't work in the same way (despite having the same end objective) - live with it!

It is exactly the same wrt FAA, S/M and Surface - different benefits for different jobs so please all try to play nicely or I will be forced to send you to sit on the naughty stair!

Dangermouse

Badgeman
SO2 Seaman - I'm surprised if JPA bods told you Bounty was included in P60. It should not be and certainly wasn't prior to introduction of JPA.

P60 should include only taxable pay - i.e. NOT including bounty.

Latest Threads