40 fascinating facts about portsmouth

^^^ TVM Jane & S-B et al

BUT - Salisbury Hospital Sec has just rung me (and all others due on the slab today)

Message is: 'Regret Operations for all Patients cancelled due to Consultant going 'Sick-on-Shore' *

GRRRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes:

BOOTW now stood down, standing by to stand to...

*[I guess his TORs did not include Medice, cura te ipsum.
('Physician heal thyself a proverb found in Luke 4:23)
VERY frustrating for you, Bob, but at least you weren't in the hospital with the compression stockings on ready to go when the "stand down" came through. Been there myself, and the GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR about sums it up.

to quote from the late Rick Jolly's book Jackspeak :- rabbit(s) Frequent descriptive term for a gift- or something that has been acquired. The word originates from Chatham Dockyard where the small island of St Mary's inside the Royal Dockyard was overrun by bunny rabbits. Although strictly Admiralty property they were frequently poached and taken home for a welcome (and free) source of fresh meat.

to quote from the late Rick Jolly's book Jackspeak :- rabbit(s) Frequent descriptive term for a gift- or something that has been acquired. The word originates from Chatham Dockyard where the small island of St Mary's inside the Royal Dockyard was overrun by bunny rabbits. Although strictly Admiralty property they were frequently poached and taken home for a welcome (and free) source of fresh meat.
Jackspeak wasn't always the font of all knowledge. Some things in it were wrong, or rather, not quite right. Lots of the info was gathered from bootnecks and WAFUs.

Going back to the OP, the term DSC doesn't seem to get a mention for some reason!

Do the natives actually clean up after their dogs now?

Afraid not. In an effort to retian the hard earned title of D.S.C. the local council are now importing dog turds from nearby areas and also hanging coulourful bags of crap from trees and lamposts

Afraid not. In an effort to retian the hard earned title of D.S.C. the local council are now importing dog turds from nearby areas and also hanging coulourful bags of crap from trees and lamposts

The South Island is content with this policy, as long as the prevailing wind is from the south west.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Back in the dawn of time when we were all wearing bunny fur a girlfriend in Upwey warned me not to use the r-word on Portland.

For me rabbit had two meanings - a rabbit job in the dockyard being something done there on the side, like getting the coppersmiths to make chromed wardroom ashtrays out of used 6" cartridge cases, and separately a rabbit run being a run ashore to garner gifts to take home, particularly in Gib, last chance for rabbits on the way home.

The late Rick Jolly pbuh did a pretty good job with jackspeak although I thought it a bit contaminated with bootery.

Rabbit job/run was always a bit of illegal wiring onboard as well, such as someone tapping off 230v/115v supply for some personal use, normally some piece of wiring put in on the QT with nothing on ships drawings so un-official.

Applied to some clanky plumbing as well.

Been there myself, and the GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR about sums it up.
Aye, @huwshpis but consoled by the comparisons between UK’s Medical Services & the Rest-of-the World.

eg The current investigation into a ‘sudden’ death whilst hospitalised in an infamous southern hemisphere country,
The poor patient died within hours of having an internal ‘scope procedure at each end.

PM found that each ‘scope insertion had punctured an adjacent internal tissue.

Speculating, the ‘scope operators almost came eye-to-eye.:oops:
If they weren’t in the poo at the time they may well be verrry soon.

Another consolation –Whoopeee, a Cheque for £25 received from Ernie Bond today:)

[QUOTE="BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, post: 1405331, member: 9162"

Another consolation –Whoopeee, a Cheque for £25 received from Ernie Bond today:)[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr Breathing

This year has been terrible for me so far. The bailiffs are pounding on the door, I have no job and several ex-wives/assorted women and 17 children to support. It hurts me to ask this, as I have my pride - just ask in my local, they will tell you it's usually an LP if someone is buying.. But if you could see a way to helping out, I would grit my teeth and accept a contribution - say, £25?

Best wishes