40 fascinating facts about portsmouth

Meantime, over at Portland, the word 'rabbit' had an entirely different connotation, locally being only whispered or even verboten.

The Dit? (I'll hold off repeating the legend I learned) Perhaps I could hand you over to Chief Inspector @janner please for the story from, ermm, the whores mouth is it?

Not having my copy of Jackspeak at hand perhaps @Seaweed, @Seadog or AN Other could kindly add that tome's version of 'rabbit' to round off these lexical definitions.

(Words sometimes intrigue me and, like @Sumo, I might even spool them 'creckly...)

Enough rabitting from this c/s for a few days - long awaited spinal decompression op. later today. :( Edited TODAY IS NOW CANCELLED - See Post 12.

BTW - Could anyone explain the true origin of the term 'bricking it'? ;)

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Meantime, over at Portland, the word 'rabbit' had an entirely different connotation, locally being only whispered or even verboten.

The Dit? (I'll hold off repeating the legend I learned) Perhaps I could hand you over to Chief Inspector @janner please for the story from, ermm, the whores mouth is it?

Not having my copy of Jackspeak at hand perhaps @Seaweed, @Seadog or AN Other could kindly add that tome's version of 'rabbit' to round off these lexical definitions.

(Words sometimes intrigue me and, like @Sumo, I might even spool them 'creckly...)

Enough rabitting from this c/s for a few days - long awaited spinal decompression op. later today. :(

BTW - Could anyone explain the true origin of the term 'bricking it'? ;)
Amongst this white?
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070119115821AAqLDp1
I spell lots of words, but do not always use them in the correct placed or order, if I limit output.
Go to bar lift up number of fingers require and say beer, works all over the world, as long as you don't care what you drink?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
All the best Bob, hope all goes well.
As for Portlands Rabbits the Quarrymen blamed any rock falls or accidents on their burrowing.
Chief Inspector, no I worked for a living.

^^^ TVM Jane & S-B et al

BUT - Salisbury Hospital Sec has just rung me (and all others due on the slab today)

Message is: 'Regret Operations for all Patients cancelled due to Consultant going 'Sick-on-Shore' *

GRRRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes:

BOOTW now stood down, standing by to stand to...

*[I guess his TORs did not include Medice, cura te ipsum.
('Physician heal thyself a proverb found in Luke 4:23)

Sumo

War Hero
^^^ TVM Jane & S-B et al

BUT - Salisbury Hospital Sec has just rung me (and all others due on the slab today)

Message is: 'Regret Operations for all Patients cancelled due to Consultant going 'Sick-on-Shore' *

GRRRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes:

BOOTW now stood down, standing by to stand to...

*[I guess his TORs did not include Medice, cura te ipsum.
('Physician heal thyself a proverb found in Luke 4:23)
Sorry to hear BoB, unfortunately happens far to often

All the best Bob, hope all goes well.
As for Portlands Rabbits the Quarrymen blamed any rock falls or accidents on their burrowing.
Chief Inspector, no I worked for a living.
The expanded version (Myth or Legend?) related to a particular incident when dynamite was incorrectly placed, not in the pre-drilled hole for it but in a similar sized adjacent rabbit hole.

Explosion misdirected along labrynth of warrens resulting in overdose of rock falls and the deaths of Quarrymen whose remains still lie entombed to this day...

Truth or otherwise that legend adds strength to the verboten word.

Sumo

War Hero
The expanded version (Myth or Legend?) related to a particular incident when dynamite was incorrectly placed, not in the pre-drilled hole for it but in a similar sized adjacent rabbit hole.

Explosion misdirected along labrynth of warrens resulting in overdose of rock falls and the deaths of Quarrymen whose remains still lie entombed to this day...

Worked in Waymuff for a number of years, those island dwellers at the other end of the manmade beach, used to twitch when you said wabbit.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

Sorry about the postponement Bob. lets hope there's a quick turn around for the next attempt.

Interestingly enough, a lot (if not all) of the quarrying on Portland is now done by mining and cutting the stone out leaving caves and the surface largely untouched. There are plans afoot (don't hold your breath) for a Jurassic Park to be set up using some of the old quarries. Apparently it will attract massive numbers of visitors a year, no one has explained how they will get there, the road system being what it is.

Sorry about the postponement Bob. lets hope there's a quick turn around for the next attempt.

Interestingly enough, a lot (if not all) of the quarrying on Portland is now done by mining and cutting the stone out leaving caves and the surface largely untouched. There are plans afoot (don't hold your breath) for a Jurassic Park to be set up using some of the old quarries. Apparently it will attract massive numbers of visitors a year, no one has explained how they will get there, the road system being what it is.
I thought most of the mass visitors to Portland ended up staying for 2-5 years... In the Young Offenders Institute.

I suppose thats gone as well.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
They changed it to a detention centre for illegals I think, there is now talk that it will be going back to some sort of prison again.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Going back to the OP, the term DSC doesn't seem to get a mention for some reason!

Do the natives actually clean up after their dogs now?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil PlymouthLive: "24 Fascinating Tales You Might Not Have Known About Plymouth" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Mail: "RN Diver's Logbook Offers Fascinating Insight Into Life On WW1 Submarine" Submariners 0
soleil Nanaimo Daily News (Canada): "Veteran Recalls Fascinating Navy Life" History 1
2_deck_dash 2_Deck_Dash's Fascinating Fact of the day. Diamond Lil's 129
higthepig Fascinating bubble game................... Diamond Lil's 10
MoD_RSS Fraud Facts for Freshers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International Driving Permits (IDPs): the facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Key facts you should know about the apprenticeship levy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: International Driving Permits (IDPs): the facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: International Driving Permits (IDPs) – the facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: IP and BREXIT: The facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: IP and BREXIT: The facts MoD News 0
vauxhall Tips and Facts Finance & Pensions 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp S/M Facts - WW1 Submariners 0
The_Caretaker Facts of Life Miscellaneous 0
NotmeChief Plymouth Facts Diamond Lil's 5
Sparrowhawk01 The facts are irrefutabubble... undeniabubble.. out there! Diamond Lil's 2
B The 15 hundreds-- Domestic facts Diamond Lil's 13
gollyman Green Facts Needed The Gash Barge 7
Blood Royal Navy Web site - Offical reporting of inaccurate facts History 5
slim Little known facts about Wafu's The Gash Barge 3
slim Educational subject Facts on Farts Diamond Lil's 4
slim Facts on Farts Diamond Lil's 7
Darb Useless facts Diamond Lil's 34
L Portsmouth Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: "HMS Ledbury Returns Home From The Gulf" The Fleet 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp 'On the knee' incident at RNB Portsmouth History 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: Seven Sprightly WW2 Veterans Visit HMS Queen Elizabeth The Fleet 9
soleil Portsmouth News: "Weetabix Advert Stars Gosport Submarine Museum's HMS Alliance" Submariners 8
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth - Happy Valentine’s day! ❤️ Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "RN Suffers 'Embarrassing' Fault With HMS Queen Elizabeth That Delayed UK Sea Trials Of F-35" The Fleet 8
soleil Tw: HMNB Portsmouth - Burns Night - Sub-Lieutenant Ian Copland Explains Its History & The RN's Participation The Fleet 2
soleil FB: Portsmouth News "What An Amazing Photo Of HMS Queen Elizabeth And HMS Prince Of Wales" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Fears Raised Over £269m Aerial Radar System" The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Portsmouth restaurateur banned for tax offences MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully HMS QE & PoW in Portsmouth The Fleet 22
soleil FB: The Band Of HM Royal Marines Portsmouth Welcomes HMS Queen Elizabeth On Her Return To HMNB Portsmouth The Corps 2
soleil HMS Prince Of Wales To Arrive In Portsmouth on Saturday, November 16th 2019 The Fleet 6
soleil Portsmouth News: "18 Amazing Royal Navy Photos From Portsmouth's Past" History 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
soleil UK Defence Journal: "Vernon Mine Warfare & Diving Monument [To Be] Unveiled In Portsmouth [In March 2020]" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Finishing touches put to £30 million project to prepare Portsmouth for second aircraft carrier MoD News 0
C Portsmouth trip. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6