40 fascinating facts about portsmouth

Meantime, over at Portland, the word 'rabbit' had an entirely different connotation, locally being only whispered or even verboten.

The Dit? (I'll hold off repeating the legend I learned) Perhaps I could hand you over to Chief Inspector @janner please for the story from, ermm, the whores mouth is it?

Not having my copy of Jackspeak at hand perhaps @Seaweed, @Seadog or AN Other could kindly add that tome's version of 'rabbit' to round off these lexical definitions.

(Words sometimes intrigue me and, like @Sumo, I might even spool them 'creckly...)

Enough rabitting from this c/s for a few days - long awaited spinal decompression op. later today. :( Edited TODAY IS NOW CANCELLED - See Post 12.

BTW - Could anyone explain the true origin of the term 'bricking it'? ;)

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Meantime, over at Portland, the word 'rabbit' had an entirely different connotation, locally being only whispered or even verboten.

The Dit? (I'll hold off repeating the legend I learned) Perhaps I could hand you over to Chief Inspector @janner please for the story from, ermm, the whores mouth is it?

Not having my copy of Jackspeak at hand perhaps @Seaweed, @Seadog or AN Other could kindly add that tome's version of 'rabbit' to round off these lexical definitions.

(Words sometimes intrigue me and, like @Sumo, I might even spool them 'creckly...)

Enough rabitting from this c/s for a few days - long awaited spinal decompression op. later today. :(

BTW - Could anyone explain the true origin of the term 'bricking it'? ;)
Amongst this white?
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070119115821AAqLDp1
I spell lots of words, but do not always use them in the correct placed or order, if I limit output.
Go to bar lift up number of fingers require and say beer, works all over the world, as long as you don't care what you drink?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
All the best Bob, hope all goes well.
As for Portlands Rabbits the Quarrymen blamed any rock falls or accidents on their burrowing.
Chief Inspector, no I worked for a living.

^^^ TVM Jane & S-B et al

BUT - Salisbury Hospital Sec has just rung me (and all others due on the slab today)

Message is: 'Regret Operations for all Patients cancelled due to Consultant going 'Sick-on-Shore' *

GRRRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes:

BOOTW now stood down, standing by to stand to...

*[I guess his TORs did not include Medice, cura te ipsum.
('Physician heal thyself a proverb found in Luke 4:23)

^^^ TVM Jane & S-B et al

BUT - Salisbury Hospital Sec has just rung me (and all others due on the slab today)

Message is: 'Regret Operations for all Patients cancelled due to Consultant going 'Sick-on-Shore' *

GRRRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes:

BOOTW now stood down, standing by to stand to...

*[I guess his TORs did not include Medice, cura te ipsum.
('Physician heal thyself a proverb found in Luke 4:23)
Sorry to hear BoB, unfortunately happens far to often

All the best Bob, hope all goes well.
As for Portlands Rabbits the Quarrymen blamed any rock falls or accidents on their burrowing.
Chief Inspector, no I worked for a living.
The expanded version (Myth or Legend?) related to a particular incident when dynamite was incorrectly placed, not in the pre-drilled hole for it but in a similar sized adjacent rabbit hole.

Explosion misdirected along labrynth of warrens resulting in overdose of rock falls and the deaths of Quarrymen whose remains still lie entombed to this day...

Truth or otherwise that legend adds strength to the verboten word.

The expanded version (Myth or Legend?) related to a particular incident when dynamite was incorrectly placed, not in the pre-drilled hole for it but in a similar sized adjacent rabbit hole.

Explosion misdirected along labrynth of warrens resulting in overdose of rock falls and the deaths of Quarrymen whose remains still lie entombed to this day...

Worked in Waymuff for a number of years, those island dwellers at the other end of the manmade beach, used to twitch when you said wabbit.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

Sorry about the postponement Bob. lets hope there's a quick turn around for the next attempt.

Interestingly enough, a lot (if not all) of the quarrying on Portland is now done by mining and cutting the stone out leaving caves and the surface largely untouched. There are plans afoot (don't hold your breath) for a Jurassic Park to be set up using some of the old quarries. Apparently it will attract massive numbers of visitors a year, no one has explained how they will get there, the road system being what it is.

Sorry about the postponement Bob. lets hope there's a quick turn around for the next attempt.

Interestingly enough, a lot (if not all) of the quarrying on Portland is now done by mining and cutting the stone out leaving caves and the surface largely untouched. There are plans afoot (don't hold your breath) for a Jurassic Park to be set up using some of the old quarries. Apparently it will attract massive numbers of visitors a year, no one has explained how they will get there, the road system being what it is.
I thought most of the mass visitors to Portland ended up staying for 2-5 years... In the Young Offenders Institute.

I suppose thats gone as well.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
They changed it to a detention centre for illegals I think, there is now talk that it will be going back to some sort of prison again.

Going back to the OP, the term DSC doesn't seem to get a mention for some reason!

Do the natives actually clean up after their dogs now?