40 Commando Return

In case you didn't already know here's a lil' update.

The first planeload of Royal Marines from 40 Commando touched down at Exeter Airport this afternoon, Tuesday 8 April 2008, following a successful six-month tour of duty in southern Afghanistan.

Based in Helmand province, the Bravo Company Marines deployed in October 2007 in support of 52 Infantry Brigade as part of a UK Army-led multi national force. They have been an integral part of providing security for reconstruction and have led several highly successful operations to clear pockets of Taliban resistance.

Welcome home, Gents - am particularly pleased by this news as two members of Bravo Coy, incl the OC, are former pupils of mine: will, I hope, be getting a few beers in for them soon.

I did think it was a very British homecoming, I saw the Bandies doing their bit and some rather nice banners but none of the usual Americanisation - Union Flags and yellow ribbons. The commentator on the BBC news did remark that all the lads wanted was something low key like this, rather than a grand parade. Perhaps though that will change in time.

pongoshaggy

Lantern Swinger
today the "dirty donkey" will be invaded by pongos ie me n my good mate alf,who has just returned from herrick 7, if any of 40 fancy a pint we are there from 1700 until we fall over