3rd Sep BRNC Joining date, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by shotty13, Jul 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My date has come through for pilot starting the 3rd of Sep, has anyone else on here got the same? I would be raving about this more but i've just returned from a serious camping trip and im exhausted!

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You'll fit in at BRNC well... :wink:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Was this a mince down the road or one of the tent variety?

4. nope it was of the tent variety, sure it was by the beach in Wales and there was a pub nearby.... but i took half as a holiday with friends and half running up and down the hills to get ready for the fitness tests. Timid, i hear you cry and admittedly it was hardly up to scratch with D of E, or anything else for that matter, but considering it was dam freezing, rained, my feet hurt from running and my friends didn't let me get to sleep for a week i feel it was serious ;-)

At least serious enough to defend myself...... poorly!

5. You will go far young man :thumright:

6. Ninja_Stoker

C'mon be honest, did you win the sandcastle contest?

7. I did indeed! With a 6ft high sand statue of myself, pilot joining forms in hand, staring lovingly into a mirror with an undeserved sense of self esteem :p

Of course when i finished i collected my prize, got back in my lotus and sped back home for a long soak in the tub RAF style. Campings tough.

Then again it is hard to take camping criticism from somebody permanently located in the dining room! Your in depth knowledge of the navy and life in general aside that is!

8. Ninja_Stoker

Spookily, I'm off to Wales in a tent myself next week, I kid you not!

You can't beat getting back to nature, scrabbling around on your hands & knees in the mud, bawling & shouting at the wife & kids, not to mention other peoples kids, in an atmoshere similar to a Kurdish refugee camp, with little trails of smoke emitting from each closely-packed tent, a blade of grass floating in every cup of tea, and mud on your knees even if it isn't muddy. (why does that always happen?).

You can't even be subtle going to the loo as the whole indigenous population know your intent when you stride off boldly across the field, frowning, with a bog roll under one arm, Telegraph under t'other.

Ah, bliss. :tp:

9. You should have told us we could have made it a Rum Ration annual holiday! Make sure your camping around Newgale beach, just below St Davids, 5 quid pppn, a huge sandy beach, free hot showers, a pub close prox to towns ect.

and best of all, when you boldly stroll off to the bog you can rest assured that everyone knows your about to do your duty on some of the cleanest toilets in the land!

Btw did i hear it claimed many posts ago that you were an AFCO? if so i don't suppose you are from the London office are you?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, St Davids, Pembrokeshire - beautiful, but Newgale always seemed well named to me. Porth Sely is the place.

Hmmn, but not afterwards if you've been on the Guinness. Eeeeew.

Not London am afraid.

Funnily enough heard a good one-sided phone conversation yesterday:

The matelot manning the front desk at an AFCO rings up saying there's an Officer candidate just arrived for an interview.

"Not today there isn't" I replied, hearing this relayed to the candidate.

"Ask to see if he's brought his letter with him." Rustle, rustle...

"The letter says 09:00 on the 20th July" says our matelot.

"Well tell him it's the blummin' 19th" says I.

Message duly relayed, then, from our witty matelot:

"No mate, if I was joking, I'd have said 'Knock, Knock' "

11. haha thats painful! I had a similar situation, only after the bit with the letter the conversation went a bit like this

"Ok, well I was about to go down to a boat show but... ah right well we had you down in our diary for next month... there has obviously been some kind of mistake...... I'm going to fire my secretary.... I'll come down and see you."

It was one of those times that turning up early with the right paperwork really paid off!

Either way your posts reminded me of my AFCO, who i have now found out is away from the office until the 26th.... which isnt very helpful really, i want my pre BRNC brief!

12. Do AFCOs do them?

13. Ninja_Stoker

I'm loathe to correct interpretations of acronyms as the mob is awful for them, hence my signature block, the longest I've come across.

But, strictly speaking
    AFCO= Armed Forces Careers Office
    OCLC= Officer Careers Liaison Centre (Often within an AFCO)
    ACLO= Area Careers Liaison Officer (ie: your actual Careers Officer)
    OCLO= Officer Careers Liaison Officer (ie: any Careers Officer for officers)
    CA= Careers Adviser (For ratings)

I need a lie down now...

14. well done fella :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

15. Thanks Ninja i am duly corrected :p and thanks Pinch

Theres a lot of stuff in the entry pack, a lot of it thinly veiled warning about how tough its going to be! Not to mention a continuation of 'aptitude tests' more leadership exams, a written essay on you life so far ect. Daunting stuff.

16. Good luck matey!

17. Ninja_Stoker

I'm most certainly not correcting you - that's just what I think they all mean. Some other bugger will doubtless tell us otherwise!

18. Do you not sleep?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Mate, when you get to my age, you're pleased you manage to wake up before you have a pee, and remember what it was you were going to the bathroom for.

Being 30 ain't easy fella.

20. I'll let you off then.. Night night old ma.. Hang on, in 10 years I'm going to be 30.

Worrying!