3D Artist looking for help!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kbelkus, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm not in the navy, I am a 3D artist. We are currently working on a small prototype game.

The game concept is a player vs player world. Each player will choose ship and fight one another, at it's simplest level. We will be including planes/helicopters to perform a variety of roles.

I am wondering if there is anyone that could possibly help us with a few reference photos? We are having a hard time finding photos of doors, vents, decks, hull metal. A lot of the details you can't see from google images. :)

If anyone could help it would be truly appreciated.

This is a link to the ship I have been working on. As you can see it's lacking a lot of details.

Once again any details images anyone would be willing to share/help us with would be truly fantastic.

Thanks very much!
  2. That's supposed to be a 23, is it?
  3. Thanks for the links, I should have plenty of research now.

Yes, it's supposed to be a type 23 it's not /identical/. I'm sure those guys/gals who have been aboard and work on this type of ship can pull apart the mistakes!

I'm hoping if we decide to continue this project to a much larger scale we will have some support from the likes of: BAE systems, Boeing, Westlands etc. So we can really perfect the ship classes and air units. For the moment it's only a prototype.

Once again thanks for the links!
  4. Niner_Domestic. Interesting that you should mention Jane's. A certain Fred Jane was very keen on Naval wargaming (apparently, he and his pals would blat away with air pistols at ship silhouettes on a wall to determine the outcome of gun exchanges). On finding there was little available on ship recognition and data, he began writing his own books.

Useless fact No 4 in a Series of 5,000.
  5. Thanks POL: I love collecting useless facts... I need them for my cocktail party chit chat. (which I have to bone up on for the 24th as we have a M&G with an MGEN and I've promised to be on my very best behaviour... *cough*)

Kbel: There's a game out already that affords the users to build their own warship and do what ever with it. You might want to check copyright infringements etc before carrying on with your project.
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

What kind of game? I really enjoyed Janes Fleet Command and had huge hopes for Sonalysts Dangerous Waters, a combo of the two would be interesting.
  7. Niner_Domestic: There is a small selection of games like this out there. It is only a prototype at the moment. We have no plans to try and make the next AAA game, we can't afford that. It's just something small and fun.

Wave_dodger: I've seen the games you mentioned they seem more like a simulation, however they do look interesting. I may have to buy them.
    We want to have something a little more 'pick up and play'. You can just login and play a couple of rounds with other players/friends and then get back to work.

It should be interesting never-the-less, the link mikh posted was very very good. I've found plenty of information.

Once again, thanks guys for all your help. It's really appreciated.