37 years ago today

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Nicks, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I Joined the Royal Navy at HMS Ganges at the tender age of 16 years and 5 months

My god I feel old !!

And where did those years go to :censored:

• Like Like x 1
  2. You feel old!! I left the Royal Navy 37 years ago.

3. Sprog.
    I was there 6 months before you (Nov 73) :toothy8:

4. Oh really well sprog I was a badgeman by then, and been in 8 years.
    And now I feel a blackcat coming,.....coming,....coming............................

5. Sorry my panther with kittens is off watch at the moment...I didn't join till Oct 22nd 74, mind you I hung around a bit and finally went back home in Oct 2001...was starting to get the hang of it by then.

6. .......I was bouncing down the gangway of COURAGEOUS down here in Devonport.
    Complete with kitbag, pussers grip and suitcase - I was told "You DO NOT" live
    on board you Part III....."(from the trot sentry). He called the Duty Driver up, who
    was smashed out of his face, and I experienced a rather terrifying car ride through
    Devonport Dockyard at the hands of a drunken lunatic from Hull. Having found a place
    to stow my gear - the bladdered person drove me back to the boat and I clambered
    down the ladder and was guided into the JR's Mess. The Duty L/Hand was the LRO,
    who was also rat-arsed, and sat in the far corner of the grot was another new joiner
    who had been force fed sarnies made with f**k all else but Colemans full strength
    English mustard. I was offered a can, sat down and surveyed my new surroundings.
    Twenty years later I walked off my last boat and into the scarey world of civilianism.

7. Sprog.
    I was there 4 months before you (Jan 74) :toothy8:

8. **** me I got rum i recon most of you buggers got milk.

9. 1st September 1959, aged 15 and a bit, HMS Ganges, Jeez, that's a lifetime ago.:)

10. :-|in two days it will be 50 years since walking through the gates at Ganges

11. 7th Feb 1961..........went through the Ganges gates...........the rest, as they say, is history.....(a bit like me !) :pale:

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I think I was being weaned off mother's tit as you lot were begging for your pay, donning flares and collecting your fag stamps.

13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

60 years ago I walked through the main gate of Victoria Barracks. Now THAT is old. Come on you 'old and bold' ones, put me in my place.

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Makes me feel a right younster Granny, 3rd February 1960 to Collingwood for kitting out as a Junior Radio Operator 2nd class

15. Fag stamps were for barrack stanchions.
    Once afloat one trip out the limit and duty free ruled.
    And the custom and excise paid us regular visits with the 1p a packet goodies.
    I will make no mention of your feeding habits, they are of no concern to us.:-D

And Granny, unless Nelsons ghost is on RR I don't see as there is any competition.:-D

16. Can't put you in your place Granny. Me Victoria Barracks September 1951.

17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

HELP.....there must be someone out there older than me....don't be shy?

18. Let's be realistic Granny, the only one who's got more seatime than you is fuckin Noah.:toothy3:

19. Think we might be looking for a cyber Ouija board not the internet.

20. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Granny chats with Lord Nelson about 'what iron'.

[​IMG]