34 & looking at Hydrography and Meteorology recruit

Smashy86

Hello all,

First off, as the title says I'm 34 and looking at a career in Hyrdography and Meteorology in the RN.
I currently work as a transport planner/co-ordinator, and whilst it is a decent job, it bores me to tears, and thought of being stuck in an office for the rest of my days dealing with HGV drivers.... has brought me here.

Way back in 2009, I passed adsc for the the Rifles regiment. I had been nothing but a little piss head up until that point in life, and longed to get out and do something where I felt like I was making a difference, and could look upon my job with pride. However, being said little piss head meant I didn't get a very good grade at Lichfield and was kept waiting for over a year after passing, and was then told I would have to re-apply, at this point I had turned myself around and was a little racing snake who thought running up sand dunes was fun, and I'd had a son, I began an application for the RM's, being much more confident in my fitness and having found that I was rather fond of feeling like my lungs were about to burst out my chest, but not longer after, having spoken to many serving and who had served, and being told frequently that it was no life for someone with a young child, I withdrew it and consigned myself to being a civvie for life, tried the TA... wasn't overly impressed by life at the unit and left after Phase B, although training with the regs was a buzz.

My lad is now off to high school in September, he's doing well, and I'm fairly confident (famous last words) that he will continue to do so. Won't be long until he's 18 and I'm looking back at my life thinking, what if, and regretting it.... which I already do about not joining when I was much younger.

The past few weeks I have been unable to shake the thought of joining either the Regs as an infantry soldier.... which sounds like a ******* daft idea at 34, or something else. Over the years a general fascination with science has slowly crept in (I was thick as pigshit at school and still have no qualifications regarding it), I then took a look at the Royal Navy, and came across this role and thought, well, that would be mint to do as a career, imagine getting paid to study the ocean & weather, albeit for mostly military purposes, and getting to travel to distant and remote places.

Obviously I'm aware of the massive pay cut I'd have to take in initial training, being stuck with a bunch of kids who will no doubt remind me of my younger, dumber and much more naive self, and have a terrible taste in music and clothes.... grumble grumble get off my lawn.

I have clicked on the "register your interest" option on the official site, but I'm keen on anyone who can relay me first hand knowledge in this role, career prospects, where are they based, what are the realities of that role- warts and all? And just life in general as an older recruit. Rather than the official blurb.

Thanks in advance, I'm well aware of how many "whats it like" threads get posted in these forums, having posted them myself several years ago, but google isn't turning up much in answer to my specific questions.

Last edited:

dart16

Midshipman
hi, I'm just starting out in the branch and can hopefully answer your questions. I'm a older entry as well. Fire some questions ar me and ill do my best to answer.

Smashy86

hi, I'm just starting out in the branch and can hopefully answer your questions. I'm a older entry as well. Fire some questions ar me and ill do my best to answer.
Have you been through initial training now?
Where are you based when not away on deployment?
What does general day to day life consist of when not on deployment?
And when away, what are your typical duties?

dart16

Midshipman
Have you been through initial training now?
Where are you based when not away on deployment?
What does general day to day life consist of when not on deployment?
And when away, what are your typical duties?
I Have recently finished phase two and due to move to an air station shortly. So yes finished the delights if INT. Im also a MET. As a Met you do an stint at air station for approx a year before sent into the fleet. Sort of on the job training. As a H you will go onto a rotation something like two months on and one month off. Day to day life as a met AB you will be a met observer, feeding the forecaster data. As a H you will mainly be a sea spec. Typically to get into the branch it takes a few years so if you are considering i wouldn't hang around. Also very likely you will be streamed into met.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 1
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
C Looking for info on ATC The Fleet Air Arm 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
huwshpis Looking for a boat Travel & The Great Outdoors 31
MoD_RSS News story: Funding boost for councils looking after asylum seeking children MoD News 0
Lily jade Looking for Kevin Wakelin/Wakeling Nearest & Dearest 9
Sumo Looking for info on WWII Pongo History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: Grants available for SMEs looking to export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Looking to the new year for progress to peace in Afghanistan MoD News 0
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
S Looking for archived Navy record Submariners 2
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
dapperdunn “The **** you looking at shitlips”. The Gash Barge 42
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl is looking for out-of-this-world space scientists to join its programme MoD News 0
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Looking for Aged Veterans Current Affairs 12
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
Simon - Quest Magazine Looking for engineers at all levels (Leading Hands, POs & CPOs) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Looking ahead to the London Somalia Conference 2017 MoD News 0
J Looking for advice on a medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Deckhamlad Ex Bootneck looking to join the RFA RFA 2
Woolfy Funny looking ear Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Looking into RN career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Looking for families of new recruits and/ or new submarine links Nearest & Dearest 2
D Looking for new submariners wags Submariners 9
E Looking to join, have a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Looking for photos of my husbands' service years Nearest & Dearest 2
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
Lindermyer Looking for Bill Diamond Lil's 10
D Sea Cadets are looking for volunteers Charity 44
Z Looking for information regarding joining deckhand Diamond Lil's 64
F Looking good The Quarterdeck 2
diehard Looking for an old friend The Quarterdeck 2
B Ex Naval Communicator looking to join RFA RFA 10
noelweller Looking to join, but leaving the police... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
J At a loss - please help... looking for Navy personal in Norfolk... Nearest & Dearest 4