33yr old looking to join as a CIS SM

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sainttm, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi ya.

Well a lot of my questions have been answered on here and the general ones I have remaining I won't know until I experience them myself.

So why post you say, well im interested in others experiences and feelings. Specifically is there anyone on here who joined who had either family commitments, pets, loved ones that affected them when joining up?

The reason I ask is I'm happily divorced, living alone in a rented house and stuck in a dead end job. So its quite easy for me to move into a career in the RN with the exception of having to give my dog away and will see / speak to my parents less. Those are small sacrifices to make but who here had to give up more and dis they feel it was worth it? Of course this is personal to them and everones different.

Personally speaking the age thing is going to be a factor for me joining up in my 30s but I still believe I have a lot to over and have the majority of my life ahead of me to live. Which I feel will be enriched by being in the RN.

I heard from the WO at AFCO (still getting use to all the acronyms) that with being over 30 and after finishing training people will think im a 3 stripper (I believe thats what he said but please do correct me if im wrong). He explained it to mean someone who has stayed the same rank for each yearly review. So I have to make a point of sayiny im fresh out of training and looking to make up for lost time and keen to progress.

Have others experienced this scenario?

Thats it for now. Speak soon hopefully

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Hello mate, first time post from me but have been a lurker for some time. Got my Raleigh dates for Oct this year so thought I may as well join in on the hilarious banter on here. Be interested to see some of the response from the old hands on this. I'm 30 in a few months so somewhat relavant to me also...

3. I think the first comment for James will be change your login straight away. You'll find a good sticky about observing PERSEC somewhere if you use the search function but basically anonymity is your friend.

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe William Emirates or Steven Old Trafford would be better? I think John Madejski would be a good one.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

• Like Like x 1
  5. LOL beat me to it ExJenny

6. GIVE YOUR DOG AWAY? You absolute (checks forum, damn) barsteward. Can't you lend him to your parents?

Speaking to parents less is one of the perks of RN life.

7. First thing. Its striper. Two p's would make you very popular on RR (RumRation for the uninitiated)

You would probably hear it referred to as a 3 badge f-all. This is usually either someone who's had a break in VG and been disrated (VG = rated Very Good for conduct in their write ups), or someone so monumentally thick they cannot pass their exams or gain enough points to become a killick (leading hand).

Dont worry about saying you are fresh out of training. That usually becomes obvious pretty fast. Older J/Rs (Junior rates) are useful to senior rates (PO/Chief/WO) as they rely on you to be the adult you should probably be by now.

Regarding separation, Im guessing the ex is not a factor, if there are any kids they would be next in line in terms of demands on your time or communication. If you are concerned about caring for parents as they age, e.g. you are an only child, don't join as you will not be able to meet that need if deployed. Esp SM.

All that said, if you decide to go for it, don't look back. Best of luck whatever you decide.

8. exJenny

What sort of dog?

9. Sonar-Bender - a little judgy for not knowing the circumstances but your point of view is noted. Its not an easy decision to make and it may not come to it, there is a small part of me that would want to keep him but it means giving up on everything else. exJenny hes a border terrier, hes 2 years old and my only companion. There is no one in my family or friends I know who would take him and putting him in a kennel is not an option, I would rather he goes to a new home and be happy.

Ships Cat - my parents are able bodied and no worries with them looking after themselves, its just more my mother would have some troubles getting use to not being able to pick up a phone and chat along with them visiting every so often. It isn't enough to make me rethink my decision but is still something to bear in mind my decision affects others.

10. Im a civy parent of a sailor sainttm . We do get used to it mate . Your parents will be proud to have thier son in the RN . It can be hard , especially on special days like Christmas and birthdays when your away. But we do survive and the pride we feel far outweighs the loss of contact. I recon you will contact your parents far more than my kid does as your older. It really isnt all that bad . You get 30 minutes a week , you can pay for more and you do get access to email. I recon my kid has about 24 hours unused time saved lol. Biatch!!!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Border Terriers are cracking dogs. If you had two, you could solve the care problem by making them into a pair of slippers if there's not a viable foster home. Not as silky smooth as kitten fur, granted, but hard-wearing.

My advice? Go for it. You can quit if it's not for you but if you don't at least give it a shot, you'll forever think "What if?"

Good luck.

12. exJenny

I say go for it.

I'm going back to sea after a fair few years in civvy street. Whilst it's going to be bloody hard because I'm a mum and wife, I know I am doing it for the right reasons. I also know if I just carried on with the day job I would always be thinking "what if..."

Your dog will get over you, he's young enough to move on, and your parents will be proud of you. Get on with your application and you'll be stripping in no time!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cant beat a good stripping.

16. Jenny - your decision cant be an easy one to make but it must be really worth it to want to go back. Would you be going back as the same as before or a different trade?

Has anyone on here joined as a CIS SM? Id be interested in hearing about any experiences you can share.

17. exJenny

Joining RFA and doing similar role to that I did at sea in the mob. 4 months on 3 months off.

18. I did look at the RFA but thought the RN would be a better fit for me and my hopes to prgress. Then I could always join the RFA after but I have limited window to join the RN

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. Could someone advise me on how to change my log in please. The search bar is also throwing up nothing to do with Persec.