Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 years ago..........Brixton Riots

jesse

War Hero
:violent1: Working as a dog handler at H.M.P. Brixton at the time;- the rioters tried to invade Jebb Avenue and the married quarters , Brixton Hill and Lyham Avenue. It was like being in a remake of Zulu.The only danger I faced In the Andrew were typhoons and slightly lesser force 10s. But ! I was sure got payback during my time in the Prison Service.:evil2:

2badge_mango

War Hero
I was brought up in the leafy suburb of Brixton (yes it was!), and can remember the first influx of "Empire Windrush" passengers into Somerleyton and Geneva Roads, opposite the Labour Exchange. On a revisit many years later I was talking to a well established West Indian gentleman in his papershop in Railton Road. He was complaining bitterly about the Somali immigrants. Plus ca change!

2BM

Rumrat

War Hero
:violent1: Working as a dog handler at H.M.P. Brixton at the time;- the rioters tried to invade Jebb Avenue and the married quarters , Brixton Hill and Lyham Avenue. It was like being in a remake of Zulu.The only danger I faced In the Andrew were typhoons and slightly lesser force 10s. But ! I was sure got payback during my time in the Prison Service.:evil2:

Oi you, don't extricate the Michael out of my buddies. We gave you lot a good thrashing up on the mountain at Isandlwana, and were doing pretty well at Brixham until most of the British police force arrived and brutalized us. Fascist pigs.
And if the only danger you ever faced in the Andrew was a little bit of wind, then all I can say is you never went to a dance at the Pavilion or drank in the Golden Fleece or the lennox. Wimp.:-D

flymo

War Hero
Yeah, the Pigs got what they deserved after trying to assist a stab victim. 279 policemen and 45 members of the public hurt.

Rumrat

War Hero
Yeah, the Pigs got what they deserved after trying to assist a stab victim. 279 policemen and 45 members of the public hurt.

Yeah,
It was a good ruck and I is glad you thinks dem piggies got theirs.
Leroy broke a nail there and Winston got his toe trod on so there were injuries all around.

Rumrat

War Hero
On a serious note, my uncle was injured in the riots, he was a member of the West Mids police, that had been drafted in during the disorder. He maintained that the main perpetrators of the disorder were none resident in the borough, and this was bore out by the addresses given in court during the aftermath.

jesse

War Hero
Oi you, don't extricate the Michael out of my buddies. We gave you lot a good thrashing up on the mountain at Isandlwana, and were doing pretty well at Brixham until most of the British police force arrived and brutalized us. Fascist pigs.
And if the only danger you ever faced in the Andrew was a little bit of wind, then all I can say is you never went to a dance at the Pavilion or drank in the Golden Fleece or the lennox. Wimp.:-D
:naka:I'll have you know I'll see your Golden Fleece and raise you The Albany, Lennox, Balmoral, Fes Bar, Mucky Duck and Wiltshire Grey. I've also lived R.A. in 1950s Hartlepool and I did not get a medal.:evil3:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: RN: Thirty Years Ago This Week - Women Deployed To Sea For The First Time The Fleet 16
MoD_RSS How the Moon landing 50 years ago inspired a generation in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ilford Park Polish Home Residents Remember Those Who Fought and Died in the Capture of Monte Cassino 75 Years ago MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ilford Park Polish Home Residents Remember Those Who Fought and Died in the Capture of Monte Cassino 75 Years ago MoD News 0
skyvet 48 years ago today................. History 6
M Declared medically unfit due to hernia operation 13 years ago!! Joining the Royal Navy 9
Darb 40 years ago.. The Quarterdeck 9
NateDogg RN security clearance. Can i join with police cautions from over 10 years ago?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS News story: British Battle of Jutland sailor killed 100 years ago is finally honoured after... MoD News 0
B Will migraines 7 years ago preclude my entry?? Health & Fitness 19
T Will this illness 3.5 years ago prevent me from joining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
FunkyJunky Horror onboard Plymouth sub (3 years ago) Current Affairs 11
D E18 - 98 years ago today History 0
tentoes Ten years ago.... The Corps 2
SARKING Murder 70 Years Ago History 2
soleil West Briton: "Station Opened 65 Years Ago" The Fleet Air Arm 0
Seaweed Film of S/Lts under training about 30 years ago. History 2
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: Falklands veteran meets Argentine pilot he shot down 30 years ago Current Affairs 13
Stirling 100 years ago..... History 2
N 37 years ago today The Quarterdeck 38
soleil The First Two Royal Navy Pilots Qualified Exactly 100 Years Ago The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil Mail: "Mutiny Or Sabotage? 60 Years Ago HMS Affray Mysteriously Disappeared" Submariners 21
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp ‘PERSEC’ of 100 years ago. Miscellaneous 5
soleil Twenty Years Ago Today: HMS Gloucester Shoots Down Missiles Aimed At USS Missouri The Fleet 9
hackle 3 British warships sunk 90 years ago found off Estonia History 4
tommo 66 years ago tonight........ History 4
2_deck_dash 70 Years ago today History 0
AndyWade On this day in history - 68 years ago today History 12
soleil "War Tragedy 70 Years Ago" - HMS Courageous History 0
T Man-eating birds existed 500 years ago.... Diamond Lil's 10
Polycell Forty five years ago!!! Submariners 7
BillyNoMates Harry said a naughty word (3 years ago). Diamond Lil's 72
P2000 203 Years Ago... History 10
5dits DEVONPORT SUB 'HIT ICEBERG' SAYS MOD - 5 years ago Current Affairs 25
D Five years ago Tonight The Corps 3
Oil_Slick Persia - 150 years ago today History 7
Darb 30 years ago History 69
MoD_RSS COVID-19 vaccines rolled out to people aged 70 years and over from today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of schools to benefit from covid early years support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tyne Valley investment continues five years on from Storm Desmond MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Most homes delivered in 33 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 new satellites to be built in Glasgow in next three years as part of new innovative constellation service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM to announce largest military investment in 30 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted announces new early years inspection arrangements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for schools, colleges and early years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New HIV diagnoses in gay and bisexual men at their lowest in 20 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ten years of the Lancaster House Treaties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh beef to be exported to the US for first time in over 20 years MoD News 0
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
MoD_RSS First exports of UK beef to the USA in 20 years underway MoD News 0