2nd medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Danny1, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im gonna call up for my secound medical next week.

hopefully ive put the weight on so i can pass it ok.

if i havnt then well im screwed, and ill have to find another carear

wish me luck for this one
  2. Good luck m8 :)
  3. mhiu87gv45465
  4. :wav:
  5. Good luck dude :thumright:
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, I couldn't agree more! You weren't a CT when you were in were you?
  7. thanks guys.

ill let you know how it all goes
  8. Good luck pal, I've got mine on the 28th, so i'm praying I get through aswell, any hoots good luck mate hope it works out for you. :thumright:
  9. I wish you both luck, hopefully both of you have made progression towards the target weights that the Dr gave you at your last medicals.

Hope it all works out

10. well quite a whiel afetr the secound medical they said ive passed of on 13 september
  11. Were you allowed to start training with a lower BMI but that you have to gain weight before passing out? I ask cos this may be a concern for me but not sure how strict the doctors are and if common sense comes into it at all?
  12. Just buy some steroids OR get a big 3KG muscle gainer and you should be fine.
  13. Officer_Inland

I hope that Danny will correct me if I'm wrong but, in his case, he was having trouble passing the medical which is part of the application process because he was really very light for his height and needed to increase his body mass somehow in order to pass and get the go-ahead to start Basic.

The good news is that he starts Basic at HMS Raleigh in September.
  14. Ah ok, just hope it doesn't affect me too much. I'm on protein shakes atm and they're having no effect. The worrying thing is that I haven't properly started on my cardio yet which means there may be more weight to lose. Will just have to see what the doc says then I guess. Maybe I can bluff him and take some heavy keys in my pockets or something :?
  15. Officer_Inland

What is your height and weight, if you don't mind my asking?
  16. That's ok. I'm 165cm and fluctuaute between 8 stone and 8 stone 2. I know it sounds a bit pedantic but I have to be when it's this close to the boundary :?
  17. male or female?
  18. Eat a lot of saturated fats, there bad for you bhut they will put the weight on, try heavy drinks such as Guiness, there is over 300 cal in a pint!!!
  19. officer_inland

The ultimate arbiter will be the Dr who does your medical. If he/she considers a candidate to be underweight, he/she will ask him/her to put a little weight on and then come back to be re-weighed.

My personal (non-medically qualified) opinion is that 8 stone is a little light, 8 stone 2lbs is better; if you could make around 8 and a half, better still. I should try to work towards that goal. By the time your medical comes around, you should be fine.

You could add baked potatoes, wholemeal sandwiches (cheese? peanut butter?), rice puddings, milk shakes to your daily diet. If you have three good, nourishing meals and three healthy snacks, you must surely put on a little weight.

There will be good advice from other posters later, too.