29 commando RA

is it possible to join this regiment straight from civvy street? or do i need to have a parent unit before applying after a few years experience?

and also being an army commando, would i be permanently attached to the royal marines, i.e. go where they go, not necessarily on duty?

any input would be much appreciated!

cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The clue as to which organisation you need to join/ask before undergoing All Arms Commando Course (AACC), is within the initials R & A in the job title rather than R & M

Best of luck

go look at the Gunner's forum on www.arrse.co.uk. There are a whole load of threads just like this one. In summary though - you can apply during phase 2 training (if you picked the right job), you will then go to the unit, and then go on AACC. 29 Cdo RA try to get you on the course ASAP, but you may have to wait for a while before one comes up.

sparkerbuntingnowcis said:
Or you could go down the navy route and join 148 Bty, which is a sub-unit of 29 CDO RA based in RM Poole, you do the all-arms course and spotters courses, jumps courses. etc.
Are you sure you're not genning up a walt wannabe..?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Can a Royal Navy officer apply to join 29 commando? I know ratings can
RN Rating can apply to join 148 Battery as forward observers for NGS, subject to passing a selection course, but they do not join the Royal Artillery. Not sure if there are RN Officer billets in 148, RM TACP, yes.